2021 Architecture Wishlist

Tom Klaber

Question

22 hours ago, Tom Klaber said:

I kind of gave up on this as I do not remember it getting much traction.  Glad you are on board - let's get it on the list!

I had been wishing for this tool before running into your post a while back, and was impressed by your particular solution.

The ramifications of this proposed tool enhancement should not be underestimated. It would run deep and wide, and should really be looked at carefully. The complexities associated with integrating wall assemblies with both code requirements and finish requirements is unavoidable. By not addressing these complexities with a flexible solution, VW forces us to rely on incredibly complicated solutions instead. Just because something is complex does not mean it needs to be so complicated and difficult. Complexity + flexibility = less complicated

• Like 1
On 10/1/2019 at 6:29 AM, mgries said:

@Jonathan Pickup, what exactly is "back referencing for details"? I'm not familiar with this term.

Personally, I'm waiting for VW to address detailing in a big way. I'm thinking we need an entire "Detail Manager" system to deal with the many layers of complexity here.

it might be a local issue, but when you look at a detail on a sheet layer, the back reference shows you the drawing that referenced the detail (the original source of the detail). We are getting requests from building authorities to show this. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

it might be a local issue, but when you look at a detail on a sheet layer, the back reference shows you the drawing that referenced the detail (the original source of the detail). We are getting requests from building authorities to show this. 

@Jonathan Pickup

Yes to back referencing for details. This is useful for one-off details we don’t want to put into the same sheet as the viewport it is referenced from.

When a documentation set grows so big, this is a useful tool just for us to keep track of what’s what. 

I further hope this back referencing functionality can also have ‘linked to viewport...’ abilities 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mleak said:

Component Library

The ability to build wall styles, slab styles and roof styles from a library of predefined standard components.  If the standard component definition is changed, it would change every style that uses this component.

Right now, I'm working on refining our office standard wall styles, and want to change the attributes of the same GWB component in many different wall styles.  I need to edit every single wall style to make this change.  If there were a library or database of standard components, I could change it there, and it would update all styles that use that component.

You can do that now. If that component was set to a class style (Material-GWB) then you could change the style definitions centrally.

1 hour ago, Tom Klaber said:

You can do that now. If that component was set to a class style (Material-GWB) then you could change the style definitions centrally.

True, but if I want to build a new style, I have to define all of the components from scratch, or copy an existing style and modify it.  I can't just assemble it from a library of predefined components.

52 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

One of my personal long-time favorites is the texture alignment between walls.

Same here.

54 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

However, my concern is that each item in this ever-growing list will get lost throughout the thread. So please do vote up individual wish items. If a specific request has no wish item in this forum, please consider adding one so people can upvote it. If one exists that you already voted for but seems to be forgotten, add a comment to it so more people will see (and possibly upvote) it. Having one wish with many votes will carry much more weight than multiple scattered items mentioned in other threads.

@Tom Klaber I think a good way to deal with this is to create posts for each item and create a post that links to all of them and that you keep updated with your own and other people's additional ideas. You can also use the popularity of each item to order your own list. Like this one: https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/64381-window-and-door-tool-maturity/

@Matt Panzer Since VW already has a wishlist database, how about setting up a formal online system for users to up & down vote the existing wishlist database items.  It seems like after the up front work in setting this up, it would save a lot of VW employee and user time and allow VW to tailor the software to meet user needs. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, E|FA said:

@Matt Panzer Since VW already has a wishlist database, how about setting up a formal online system for users to up & down vote the existing wishlist database items.  It seems like after the up front work in setting this up, it would save a lot of VW employee and user time and allow VW to tailor the software to meet user needs. 

This is Vectorworks' formal public wishlist database and you can indeed vote them up (arrow top left of page).

There has been some efforts made to integrate the internal bug report/enhancement request system with the forum Wishlist. Jim was working on it but not sure what the thinking is now that he's left.

Edited by Christiaan
6 hours ago, mleak said:

True, but if I want to build a new style, I have to define all of the components from scratch, or copy an existing style and modify it.  I can't just assemble it from a library of predefined components.

Very true - the only things you can centrally control is the graphical attributes.  

On 9/16/2019 at 10:28 AM, Tom Klaber said:

Never too early - Here are some of my wishes for 2021 - please add as you see fit.

1) New Stair Tool:  This tools should be easier to use and be able to be edited graphically.

2) Multistory Void Objects: It is a pain to coordinate voids across layers or even across objects in the same layer.  A void object that simply cuts whatever it crosses would be very useful for shafts and nitches and runs of all kinds.

3) More and better Window and Door options.  Windoor me, please.  Why can't we have XX configurations on Sliders - or XXX (Triple Track Sliders).  So many great doors and windows in the world.  Let's try and add 2 each release for the foreseeable future. 

4) Base / Crown Molding tool:  I used to think this should be apart of the wall style - but I now think this should be its own tool.  I think you should be able to select a custom profile, and then select the walls you want to attach that base to.  It should automatically be cut by doors, have a 2D representation, and allow voids for reveals and flush base/moldings.

5) Viewport Styles: Like most other objects - Viewports should have styles so you can globally change the settings of similar viewports.  Often we need to make changes to the RCPs which requires a new class - and then we need to change the class visibility or class override settings for each RCP viewport.  If there was a style, this change could be made centrally - save time and cut down on errors where one sheet is missing some information. 

6) Better and More Responsive Interior Elevation Tool:  This tool is almost good.  It needs to be more responsive, and we need to move the tag over to annotations.  It is now almost the last annotation that needs to be on the design layer.   Maybe this can be merged with the space tool so the boundary defined by the space tool to generate the interior elevations - and then we can tag them as required in Annotations.

7) New GUI - let's be honest - the new icons are not great and seemed rushed just to allow dark mode.  I would be fine with the GUI you show in the promo videos.  Just implement that.  You have already designed it!  The icons are cleaner - the dialogs are cleaner - nothing fancy - it just feels on-purpose. 

😎 (8)More and better connection with outside rendering software.  The Lumion connection is (was - no longer working for 2020) great.  Twinmotion is an obvious second one.  I would be fine with engineering resources being used for Renderworks to be used for other things if we can use purpose-built 3rd party solutions.  

9) Class Mapping on Copy:  There was a plugin that did this - but this should be built-in.  Anytime you copy from one file to another, you should be presented with a dialog to map the classes if they do not match - and these settings should be remembered.  It is almost impossible to clean files as every time objects from older projects get brought over - it messes up the class structure.

10) Better Custom Cabinet Tool: This is one of my favorite tools from 2019 - but it could be better.  Clearer class control, easier "Sink" option that eliminates the top (unless the new void objects can be incorporated into symbols - then sinks will cut the cabinets and counters themselves!) 

Looking forward to all the great things in 2021!  

I've read all the posts on this stream and I understand the need to prioritize. Over 11,000 wishes? 

I'll add one more.

WISH - Please allow symbols or PIOs to be absorbed into slabs and the A.C. tile tool much like a door or window is absorbed into a wall. 

I like to model the lights for both visualizations and for RCP's. Unless I'm missing something obvious, I have to do far too much editing to clip holes in AC Tile objects and ceiling slab objects.

To reiterate, STAIRS. The tool used to be pretty good. The new stair tool bogs down making it impossible to work with. Are people making 3d geometry to stand in for stairs? I don't know how people can even use this tool and still have functional files. The lag   t  i   m  e   i s   SO    l o n g when I make small edits or move a stair. I'm doing pretty simple residential drawings. 

Windows- would love to be able to easily make a cottage style double (or single) hung window. A slider that is XOX where the center panel is the size of the two side panels combined, instead of 3 equal panels. And a Nana type bifold glass door, where one panel also works as a single door. 

Viewport editing that does not crash. I had excellent stability after mini cad became VW . I skipped a few years, and upgraded to 2018/2019  and the stability is like one of my original mac laptops circa 1998. I get several crashes a week. Which, back in the day would have been pretty normal, but things should be working better in 2019 than they were 20 years ago. 

• Like 3

Let's add two more simple wishes.

1. Allow a wall type to have a BASEBOARD. I have workarounds, but why can't VW have a base that is a wall component that has a height, not an offset from top or bottom?

2. Wall Components and graphics - When a wall component is included but turned off in a VP as a class override, the wall thickness jumps down by the thickness of the component AND the outline has the attributes of the components, not the class of the wall. (i.e - wall type stud + drywall, wall on class Wall-Interior, components - Component-Interior Finish, Component-Stud). If we turn off one of these components (i.e. outer most), the graphics get messed up - unless all wall component classes are off. However, in 3D, the walls disappear and have no Z value. This is why I don't include a baseboard as a component in a wall type because, in plan view, I don't want that component turned on. Otherwise, it makes weird graphics like below.

Wall Two Components.png

Wall Drywall Component off.png

Wall All Components Off.png

• Like 1
On 9/30/2019 at 8:12 AM, Tom Klaber said:

I do not understand why this is difficult.  This drives me nuts -, especially for hatches.  It seems to my uneducated mind, that that there could simply be a World Reference Point  - a global (0,0,0) that you could set as the origin for the hatch or texture.  This should instantly align these from object to object, layer to layer.  You could then take it one step further by allowing offset from this 0,0,0. Obviously this is harder than I think - otherwise, we would already have it.   I have given up on getting my brick hatches to align from layer to layer - and just look at the ground in embarrassment and shame as I blame my printer when my elevations print....

I love creating polygons over my elevation  viewports when the board and batten or brick doesn't line up, then clipping out holes so the windows show. Then adjusting the holes when I move windows. Surprised you don't like this method, Tom.  But I do like your blame the printer work-around.  (sarcasm)

I  REALLY want the exterior wall hatches to align from layer to layer, floor to floor, particularly when the walls align. 

• Like 4
On 11/15/2019 at 8:32 AM, jtempleton said:

I love creating polygons over my elevation  viewports when the board and batten or brick doesn't line up, then clipping out holes so the windows show. Then adjusting the holes when I move windows. Surprised you don't like this method, Tom.  But I do like your blame the printer work-around.  (sarcasm)

I  REALLY want the exterior wall hatches to align from layer to layer, floor to floor, particularly when the walls align. 

Late-ish night - lowering my standards because I do not have time to fix it...1410253917_Annotation2019-11-18210459.thumb.png.28094faa75925bac5f7f35ac8689b431.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 10/1/2019 at 3:30 AM, Tom Klaber said:

So many ideas - so hard to keep track of them...I kind of gave up on this as I do not remember it getting much traction.  Glad you are on board - let's get it on the list!

I actually also made a similar post in 2019 (not realising @Tom Klaber had put up a much more comprehensive version as above).

I'm 100% on board this idea. 

In fact- we currently draw our walls as three layers in our VW model- 'Core' and two 'finishes' on each side.

It's more complicated but gives us more flexibility to change finishes inside a room. 

38 minutes ago, Amorphous - Julian said:

I actually also made a similar post in 2019 (not realising @Tom Klaber had put up a much more comprehensive version as above).

I'm 100% on board this idea. 

In fact- we currently draw our walls as three layers in our VW model- 'Core' and two 'finishes' on each side.

It's more complicated but gives us more flexibility to change finishes inside a room. 

Certainly getting more and more situations in my work I'd like to be able "paint" sections of wall with a slightly different finish that doesn't otherwise effect the wall/structural type to warrant a full wall type.

More and more I'm finding uses for a general sub-style or overlay-style to styled objects that could effect a very limited aspect of an object. Like walls-style to control the all structural aspects of the wall will and Overlay-style applied to part of the wall changes a finish like a panel of different brick.

• Like 2