Shutters different color than window?

Inspectorjack

You control the appearance of the different components of the Window object by Classes.  

• Create a unique Class for the external or internal shutters, choose the colour you want (or the texture you want) and set the Class properties to Use at creation.
  • Then assign that Class to the external or internal shutters in the Window Settings dialog box.

Window Classes.png

3 hours ago, mike m oz said:

You control the appearance of the different components of the Window object by Classes.  

• Create a unique Class for the external or internal shutters, choose the colour you want (or the texture you want) and set the Class properties to Use at creation.
  • Then assign that Class to the external or internal shutters in the Window Settings dialog box.

Window Classes.png

Ok thank very much for this reply.  This works for new windows but doesnt seem to allow to set the class for existing window shutters so I guess I have to re-create the windows that have shutters so I can control their graphic attributes??  Seems overly clunky.

Are the existing windows Vectorworks Window objects or are they Symbols?

If they are Vectorworks Window objects use the command Update Plug-in objects in the Utilities sub menu menu in the Tools menu.

If they are Symbols edit the Symbol to see if they are Vectorworks Window objects.  If they are then update them.

If they are Symbols that are not Vectorworks Window objects then you should be able to Class the individual 3D component parts.

Also check to see if the shutters have been modelled separately.

• Like 1

1158755459_ScreenShot2019-09-16at7_54_45AM.thumb.png.369d80d098237819a334bbeff911cb79.png

The windows are VW2019 Windows tool objects.  Update Plug-in objects did not seem to work.

In the OIP I can change the Texture such as Arroway Walnut Black getting me close but that changes the window and the shutter at the same time.

Thats the closest I can get to what I want for now,

Edited by Inspectorjack

It seems that my issue is that I am trying to color or texture a "Custom Shutter".  Tried on Wes' shutter.test file as well (switch to custom shutter and texture does not apply). As shown I am using the Rustic shutter and I cannot change its attributes it seems without changing the window itself as well.

Opening Wes' shutter.test gives me window classes along with window and trim classes.  My own file does not have these classes.  Wes did you create these classes or are the generated by the Window tool?

Thank you for the help guys.  I have something buggy going on but I copied mike's window into my file and changed my shutters to his shutter class and I can now change the texture of the rustic shutters.  Interestingly even if I change the window's shutter class to a class I created I cannot change the texture AND the graphic control is still dictated by Mike's imported class.  Dunno don't care that much at this point.  This house will be sided and done soon.

I'll be updating to latest SP or 2020 and check to see if this is resolved for my next house.

• 1 year later...