Polygonal Marquee Mode needs click drag in 2020

michaelk

Question

Not sure if this is working as intended, but it's definitely different.

In 2019 and before when using the selection tool in Polygonal Marquee Mode the first click initiates the first vertex of the polygonal selection shape.

In 2020 no amount of clicking or double clicking will initiate the first vertex.  Only click-draging will.  

I don't have click drag drawing turned on in either version.  (I'm not a barbarian😋)

9 answers to this question

Guest Alex Sagatov

I use this mode from time to time, and I completely glossed over the change! You are correct though, there is a difference here.

I have submitted it over to our Engineering Team for review as to whether this is a bug or an intended change (Reference Number: VB-165057).

I will report back once I get additional information.

Guest Alex Sagatov

Update: So there was actually a different bug listed in our system that the Reshape tool and Selection tool handled the polygonal mode differently (as @willofmaine noted). The polygonal marquee mode was made to be consistent between the Selection tool and Reshape tool, so this was an intended change.

If this is problematic for you, I can put in a feature request to potentially add a preference where you can choose whether if is click and drag or just click.

I actually kind of like the change after playing around with it. In the past I'd usually avoid these two modes because I'd often accidentally engage a selection marquee when just trying to click something. This helps make it more reliable (i.e. it marquees only when intentional) and consistent, though it does take a moment to get used to if accustomed to the previous way.