michaelk

Polygonal Marquee Mode needs click drag in 2020

Question

Not sure if this is working as intended, but it's definitely different.

In 2019 and before when using the selection tool in Polygonal Marquee Mode the first click initiates the first vertex of the polygonal selection shape.

In 2020 no amount of clicking or double clicking will initiate the first vertex.  Only click-draging will.  

I don't have click drag drawing turned on in either version.  (I'm not a barbarian😋)

9 answers to this question

It definitely is different. I'd say that all three modes now feel consistent in how they operate....they all require a drag action to start. Its not a mode I use very often so I don't have a strong memory of how it works. I can see how this would be a big shift if it was something you did all the time.

Kevin

Interesting.  That's how the Polygonal Marquee mode of the Reshape Tool has worked (at least for me) for a long time (including in at least 2018 and 2019).  Either way, it's a mode I rarely use, so I often have to re-learn to drag-click to get started...  Not sure why it isn't just click 'n' go...

1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I'd say that all three modes now feel consistent in how they operate....they all require a drag action to start

Kevin

Ha!  You're right.  I never thought about it that way, but it does make sense.

I use this mode from time to time, and I completely glossed over the change! You are correct though, there is a difference here.

I have submitted it over to our Engineering Team for review as to whether this is a bug or an intended change (Reference Number: VB-165057).

I will report back once I get additional information.

• Like 2

Update: So there was actually a different bug listed in our system that the Reshape tool and Selection tool handled the polygonal mode differently (as @willofmaine noted). The polygonal marquee mode was made to be consistent between the Selection tool and Reshape tool, so this was an intended change.

If this is problematic for you, I can put in a feature request to potentially add a preference where you can choose whether if is click and drag or just click.

I actually kind of like the change after playing around with it. In the past I'd usually avoid these two modes because I'd often accidentally engage a selection marquee when just trying to click something. This helps make it more reliable (i.e. it marquees only when intentional) and consistent, though it does take a moment to get used to if accustomed to the previous way.

I use the polygonal marquee mode fairly often and I don't mind the change.  

I would not advocate for a preference for one mode of the selection tool.  Surely there are more important things for the engineers to be working on.  (I'd be happy to supply a list 😜.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michaelk said:

Surely there are more important things for the engineers to be working on.

Exactly what I was thinking.

1 hour ago, michaelk said:

(I'd be happy to supply a list 😜.)

Me too (if I could find the time to clean the list up and make it useful...).

In the meantime, having the marquee mode consistent from one tool to the next (whether or not it might be its best implementation) is a nice improvement!