adjusting panoramas 2

Kurt M

Greetings. I am having issues with manipulating panorama background images.  When I import a background created with a Samsung gear 360 camera it comes in ok ( see attached) but when I want to rotate it to be in the correct ordination, the background turns all yellow ?  What am I doing wrong ?  Also the +/- rotation function in the background panorama dialog box is not very smooth at all (when it doesn't turn all yellow).  Values of rotation inputted make it jump around not very accurately.  Is there a trick to it ? 

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 11.53.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 11.52.59 AM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

v2019 and v2020 panoramas got more demanding. If it was not made with the Maxon requirements then these turn yellow. Until further notice, do not use the ones that give you that ugly result.

I have a few that I can share from my personal collection.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txgd6n0wturbwzm/Backgrounds %26 HDRI collection.vwx?dl=0

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I also learned today that in Photoshop you can set a file to "Image<Mode<32 bits/Channel" - then when you go to Save As, you can now choose "Radiance" which will save out a .hdr file. Obviously it's not saving multiple exposure information like a true HDR, but it got me closer and it's now working in Vectorworks 👍

1573978277_ScreenShot2019-10-03at1_50_31PM.thumb.png.02c7d55c9f63bc8a23da7930a53a7f9b.png

2058608293_ScreenShot2019-10-03at1_50_51PM.thumb.png.db84d296b934286ec786b1df92a05dd0.png

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Speaking of HDRI Pano backgrounds....

Is there a way to rotate the Pano in realtime to get the alignment you want?  It is always a crapshoot to know how the HDRI will orient itself when imported into a file. Honestly, it drives me nuts having to mess with it hit and miss.  It can be rotated, fortunately,  after importing it, but you never really know how that rotation will affect the view. It is kinda trial and error.

Thoughts?

Luis:

Nice backgrounds but I need to be able to use site specific ones of the individual projects.  You being a vectorworks employee can you address the reason this is happening or what Maxon requirements are ?  Or contact somebody in the company who does know ? Thanks, Kurt

• Like 2

@Kurt M - I don’t know if this helps with the ‘yellow’ panorama issue at all, but I found this post by former Vw employee @PVA - Jim :

It would still be very good to have a Vw employee weigh in on what is the proposed solution to this problem: It’s been requested several times in this thread with no direct response.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1

I sent a email to wks tech support and after they tried my file out they said that there was a bug in 2019 & 2020.  She told me that it worked in 2021 so I am waiting for my main computer to be returned to me before I can try out 2021 (other twisted tale of woe ) 

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Sorry Kevin. I was hoping someone else from the Rendering team would take on that question and add more info. Short answer is no, currently there is no feature that allows you to just rotate the HDRI (dome). As you know, inside the settings of the background we can change the angle, then hit OK, check the background and see if it is close to the desire location, typically I don't get it right until the third try.  Should we have this? absolutely, I am with you on that one, it'd save a few clicks and window dialogs.  I am sure my friends here are taking notes.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I got my computer issue resolved and downloaded 2021 and opened up my file, re created my panorama photo background and.... it works now !  many thanks to  tech support.  it also works way more smoothly when adjusting the angle too. Go figure.  So if you want to do these panorama backgrounds I would highly suggest downloading 2021. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 11.29.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 11.29.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 11.27.26 AM.png

• Like 1