Mac Mini for Vectorworks or upgrade Mac Pro?

MHBrown

I'm back in the self-employed world after 15 years and I need to find a Vectorworks 2018 solution...on a budget. I have a MacPro early 2008 (see attached image). It runs El Capitan and VW2017, but with a 256MB video card and only 2GB ram it is not real quick. My 2015 Macbook Pro blows it away. My question is this: I think I can purchase a 4GB video card for around $500 and 16GB ram for $160, for a total of around $700 after shipping. The drive is fine for now, though a little small at 384GB, it is 7200rpm.

My other option is a Mac Mini. I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, so all I need is the CPU. Is the Mac Mini a reasonable VW machine? What configuration is the best? Can I upgrade it as I make a little money? I need to figure this out fairly quickly or I'll be doing all the work on my MacBook. I also need to run Adobe Cloud, but that's another forum. Lastly, I could purchase a reasonably equipped iMac for around $1,700 (faster video card) and add RAM as I go. See specs on the old Mac Pro below. Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

1319385324_MacProversion31early2008.thumb.png.5be1e8bf8431f9f17138be7bf8a28235.png

• 1 month later...