Andy Broomell

Pulling Data from Title Block Borders into Worksheets

Ever since Title Blocks were revamped a couple years ago, I've been unable to create a simple Drawing Schedule (list of sheets) as a worksheet that's linked to my Sheet Layers / Title Blocks. It used to be as simple as pulling record fields from the Title Blocks, but that doesn't seem to work anymore, so I'm obviously missing something.

Note that I DO NOT want to use Tools < Reports < Create Sheet List, as this creates an unlinked worksheet (an idea with I completely loathe). In my workflow I constantly re-name and re-number sheets throughout a project, so I need a worksheet that is always up to date without having to manually do anything.

I see that it's possible to pull some data from TBBs, as seen in the screenshot of my test below:

TBBdata.thumb.jpg.e278c2c1da8ba471f08de01e348de225.jpg

All I really need is 'Sheet Data'.'Sheet Title' but that doesn't seem to work?

For my first column I just used =L in the column header which works fine to pull the sheet layer number.

Here's an image of my simple goal, which I had in VW2017:

359123684_ScreenShot2019-09-12at4_53_15PM.thumb.png.de1158f065ee329d0f7fbe5316970b29.png

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov @Pat Stanford

• Like 1

I don't have a lot of time to play right now, but it seems to work OK for me here. Tested in VW2020.

Create a Database with a criteria of Type is Title Block Border.

In Column A use the disclosure Triangle to show the dialog box and choose Records  Sheet Data and the choose Sheet Number as the field

In Column B do the same but choose Sheet Title as the field.

Strangely enough, the record name is note Sheet Data but rather  Title Block Sheet Data and you end up with a formula like   ='Title Block Sheet Data'.'Sheet Number'

Ask again if this does not help

• Like 4

By the way, I placed an instance of this worksheet INSIDE my TBB so it automatically comes in with my title blocks and becomes a small printed sheet list on every page. Works like a charm 🙂 

• Like 4

Add a criteria that list objects whose:

Field value / "This Title Block Is Active" / = / "True"

Once you select field value scroll down the fields list to Title Block Borders and then in the sub list select "This Title Block is active".

BTW I don't personally use this method to select which sheets go in the drawing list as I like to leave all Title Blocks active. (Deactivating them also turns of auto-drawing configuration.

Instead I have added a custom field to the already extg vw Sheet Data record. It is a boolean field called "Include in Drawing List. I have a text object hidden in my titleblock border which is linked to this field. Linking the record to text in the TBB means this record will appear as a setting in my TBB settings dialogue.

image.thumb.png.5ec89ccf2717ded6e610429646dcde3e.png

Here's a thread that describes how I did it if you are interested.

7 hours ago, Boh said:

Linking the record to text in the TBB means this record will appear as a setting in my TBB settings dialogue.

- I just want to mention that this is no longer needed in VW2020, as there is a Display property of the Project/Sheet Data fields that could be used instead. 🙂

• Like 2

@Andy Broomell Can you post HOW you did that though?

I did just copy your worksheet but would like to be able to construct one myself.

Did you do advanced criteria?

Record/sheet data/is present

then what? Field value? but then I dont see anything in Field value that works...

thx

Take a look at my post just about Andy's.  Yes you create a worksheet with a Database row with a Criteria of Type is Title Block. Then you should be able to use the pull downs to select the Record and Field. It will display as Sheet Data in the pull down, but will generate a formula something like:  ='Title Block Sheet Data'.'Sheet Number'

Ask again if you need more specifics.

@Pat Stanford  than ks for your reply!

Thanks I finally got it using your comment and the one from Boh

This part was what I was missing:

Add a criteria that list objects whose:

Field value / "This Title Block Is Active" / = / "True"

thanks all

• Like 1

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov @Pat Stanford 

I´m trying to include a column in my drawing schedule to report the drawing stamp

='Title Block Border'.'Display Drawing Stamp'

I only manage to display true or false 

I want to report my custom drawing stamp text 

='Title Block Border'.'Custom Text'

gives me my custom text in every row, not the ones that actually have a drawing stamp.

What am I doing wrong or do you think this is a bug?

VW.thumb.png.85d931223e9e0c83dd1b4c352c0d188d.png

Hello @Hans-Olav,

The Custom Text param is not cleared when you are not using Drawing Stamp. In order to get the custom text for objects using the Drawing Stamp only try using the IF formula like this:

=IF( 'Title Block Border'.'Display Drawing Stamp'; 'Title Block Border'.'Custom Text'; '' )

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Love 1

Display Drawing Stamp is a boolean field (True or False) that tells the PIO to use the drawing stamp or not. That is why you are only getting True or False. Custom Text is the actual text of the stamp.

If you use the stamp on all of your title blocks, then you can skip the IF and just use ='Title Block Border'.'Custom Text'

Also for reference purposes, the delimiter used in the formulas is language/country dependent.  Since Hans-Olaf and Nickoly are both in Europe (I am assuming) the separator is a semi-colon [ ; ].  In the US the separator is a comma [ , ].

• Like 2