MTRobin

2D Components Feature with Lighting Devices

Question

Hello All,

I would like to request that if there is a 2D front, side, and top view in the hybrid symbol of a lighting device that it become visible when rendered in Hidden Line in a viewport. Currently, lighting devices are excluded from the 2D components feature.

Thank you,

Maxwell

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Unfortunately at this time, because of the unique nature of the Lighting Instruments being a symbol that is made into a Plug in Object, also the limitations of the 2D views being only for direct side views, it would not work correctly at this time.  That is why they are excluded.  

The other issue in question is how would we do the views.  I was taught that for center sections that lights should be at a 45 degree angle if side view, and Down the barrel if face on.  but I have seen other drawings that differ from that.  who's format should we use?  and I am sure no matter what direction we put them once we get something that would work, some will complain that we did it wrong.

Valid points, but all I am suggesting is that lighting devices work exactly like regular symbols. The user can draw what ever they want to be the 2D representation when the viewport is viewing the top, bottom, left, or right and it will display the 2D you drew for that view. If there is no 2D or the view is in perspective or isometric, it will just display the 3D.

I am referring to this video where it works with symbols. I just don't see how this isn't possible with lighting devices.

Thank you,

Maxwell

• Like 1

Yes, ti works with Symbols, but once you insert a lighting instrument it is no longer really a symbol.  This is why there are no 2D planar graphics other than the Top/Plan 2D associated with them.  

Yes. This is why I am requesting that Vectorworks makes this feature work with lighting devices.

• Like 1