Jump to content
Gaspar Potocnik

New Patch system and Vision 2020 Export

Recommended Posts

Beforehand I think this is great and something we've asked for some time, so Thanks!

 

On the other hand, I haven't found any information that specially shows how it works so here are some questions:

- I am guessing that the "Channel" field has to be the Unit number, can this be changed?

- I've tried to use the numbering tool to get the DMX address populated but haven't found it, is the patch window the only way to get it done? If so, this is something to reconsider...

- I've seen the Vision data mapping has vanished and for what I've tried it uses the same fields as the patch window, is this correct? Is this editable?

Share this post


Link to post

@Gaspar Potocnik   

I hope below will get you up and running. 

 

 

48 minutes ago, Gaspar Potocnik said:

- I am guessing that the "Channel" field has to be the Unit number, can this be changed?

Vectorworks is using the MVR data format and this can not be changed. You will need to have the following a Channel number (the number you use to select the device in the console), a Universe, and a DMX Address.  there are new fields in the Lighting Device for 2020 that will give you some display options you can find more in the Vectorworks help 

 

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2020/eng/VW2020_Guide/LightingDesign1/Lighting_device_properties.htm?rhhlterm=Lighting Device&rhsyns=

 

53 minutes ago, Gaspar Potocnik said:

I've tried to use the numbering tool to get the DMX address populated but haven't found it, is the patch window the only way to get it done? If so, this is something to reconsider..

 

You can address fixture in 3 way with the Lighting Instrument tool using Auto numbering 

 

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2020/eng/VW2020_Guide/LightingDesign1/Inserting_instruments.htm?rhhlterm=Lighting Instrument Tool&rhsyns=

 

Spotlight numbering

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2020/eng/VW2020_Guide/LightingDesign2/Numbering_light_plot_objects.htm?rhhlterm=Spotlight Numbering command&rhsyns=

 

Or the DMX Patch Window 

 

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2020/eng/VW2020_Guide/LightingDesign2/DMX_patching.htm?rhhlterm=DMX Patch dialog box&rhsyns=

 

57 minutes ago, Gaspar Potocnik said:

I've seen the Vision data mapping has vanished and for what I've tried it uses the same fields as the patch window, is this correct? Is this editable?

 

Vision is now using the MVR standard and can not be changed at this time. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BrandonSPP said:

Vectorworks is using the MVR data format and this can not be changed. You will need to have the following a Channel number (the number you use to select the device in the console), a Universe, and a DMX Address.  there are new fields in the Lighting Device for 2020 that will give you some display options you can find more in the Vectorworks help 

I can see the DMX address field in the OIP but not in the spotlight numbering ergo I cannot patch with that tool.

 

It's good both apps are following a standard, it would just be nice to have this stated somewhere in the manual (at least I did not see it) since it will change workflows for people.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Gaspar Potocnik said:

I can see the DMX address field in the OIP but not in the spotlight numbering ergo I cannot patch with that tool.

 

It's good both apps are following a standard, it would just be nice to have this stated somewhere in the manual (at least I did not see it) since it will change workflows for people.

Take a look again as I defiantly see it. 

 Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 12.43.00 PM.png

 

If you don't I would reach out to tech support

Share this post


Link to post

@Gaspar Potocnik 

1 hour ago, Gaspar Potocnik said:

It's good both apps are following a standard, it would just be nice to have this stated somewhere in the manual (at least I did not see it) since it will change workflows for people. 

 

A chart with how the fields are mapped is available in the help:

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2020/eng/index.htm#rhsyns= &t=VW2020_Guide%2FLightingDesign1%2FVisualizer_data_mapping.htm

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×