Using Rigging hoists / markers to automatically show layout dimensions

Hello 

I regularly use the Hoist tool, along with Hoist origin to mark several points within a floor plan - ie for power.

The advantage of this is that I can set a Datum (using Hoist Origin) - then drop on several markers using hoists (for power / internet drops etc) which automatically show the distance from the datum along the X, Y.  Then on site we have a really clear plan with dimensions that can quickly be used to mark out with.

I have done this several times and it works well - but I have suddenly thought whether there is a more appropriate tool I should be using?  Or data tags?  It works well using the Hoist origin - but is a little clunky.  

Any ideas / suggestions gratefully received.

Andrew

I do this as well for any number of things. I started a thread about this some time ago detailing how I used rigging points to create spike marks that were absolutely repeatable. 

The solution would be to include various “non-hoist markers” in the hoist tool. That way you don’t get the added geometry of the physical hoist nor will it impact your inventory count. You would just drop down to “spike marks” in the OIP

7 hours ago, C. Andrew Dunning said:

An add-on, yes.  Purchased, no.  Just something I creates for myself but shared w. colleagues and team-members who were wanting something more powerful than Symbols but simpler than the stock Hoist tool.

Cool stuff Andrew. I'm very interested in the Spike tool, but can't seem to find it on your website. Is it part of Staging ToolSet 2?

thanks,

MichaelM

2 hours ago, scottmoore said:

I can tell you this; it’s fantastic!  

@scottmoore; thanks. I remember the thread where you extolled this very tool I believe, for it's efficacy in helping you layout (for prefix, was it?) spikes for an event.Really psyched to try it. Also looking forward to deploying your fab backline sym-set for several projects this year.

• Like 1