Disaster Prepare Month

Just had a major storm go thru NY and Mass...trees down, power out etc...one of my team members still has no power...but the rest are operational...

the VW team is operational and the Onshape team are operational...

As to cloud based apps...vs non....if the internet was down then my vw team would be sunk as well as we use cloud storage, Skype etc...

all have phone service so technically work can be done on Onshape on a iPhone (i have done it) but not really something i would want to do all day.

iPad you could easily do work...

Edited by digitalcarbon
  • 3 months later...

As you all know I'm a big fan of Cloud everything.  Been using for 3 years and its virtually flawless...collaboration, no version update headaches, absolutely super!

I personally feel that I have debunked all the issues thrown at me.

However, politics aside,  am I now held hostage by these cloud companies who can shut me down if they decide to?

Example:

If I want to use my cloud services to make signs that say "The emperor has no clothes"...will I get shut down for going against popular opinion?

Still a big fan of the cloud but you have me over a barrel on this one and I have no reply...its a valid concern...

I guess nothing is really safe...

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

As you all know I'm a big fan of Cloud everything.  Been using for 3 years and its virtually flawless...collaboration, no version update headaches, absolutely super!

However, politics aside,  am I now held hostage by these cloud companies who can shut me down if they decide to?

Example:

If I want to use my cloud services to make signs that say "The emperor has no clothes"...will I get shut down for going against popular opinion?

Still a big fan of the cloud but you have me over a barrel on this one and I have no reply...its a valid concern...

That's a very valid concern. I like reading books with the Kindle App. I have it installed on my phone, my tablet and on my kindle device. I can pick up reading my books where ever I am. Lately though I am considering buying physical books again, because Amazon might decide to delete my library for various reseaons out of my control. And legally I would have no means to fight Amazon in court, because I agreed to their TOS. I would have burned my money and have to spend it again. That's why I am a big proponent for open file formats and against drm.

13 minutes ago, elepp said:

I am considering buying physical books again

Interesting,  I happened to watch a Snowden interview,  had thoughts of dumping my smartphone and getting a land line...even thought of dumping my whole cad business with thoughts of removing stumps for a business...(I removed a stump over the summer and it was quite peaceful)

So I'm basically being tracked by big tech, NSA & now the CCP?

Edited by digitalcarbon
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

with thoughts of removing stumps for a business

I might join you there. There is something to be said about a "simple" but rewarding task like that. 😄

Landlines where never a safe option here in Germany. You could hear a crackling in the background, if you tried to call someone in the GDR. 😄

Maybe the good ol' pigeon will do?

3 hours ago, digitalcarbon said:

Example:

Finally. Been waiting a long time for you to see the inherent flaw here, and have watched several folks try to lay this argument out for you in the past.

Nothing is safe.

Harm R E D U C T I O N …………Determining one's own ROI on that is the best one can do. No insurance can really replace  lost\missing\stolen\deleted

keep on keeping on. Love the topics you raise.

edit: I mean, for ex; you could be saving / storing your data in a secure location, etc but if you cannot access the software to open\edit\delete, you're still screwed.

Edited by mjm
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
16 minutes ago, halfcoupler said:

Call me quixotic, insane, backwoods, an ideot, but THIS is my main communication device:

IMG_1144.thumb.JPG.31be5b3739e5be0ad5db3007d3e0634e.JPG

I am definetely NOT kidding.

(For the millennials: The buttons are real, you can feel them click when you press them, and when someone calls you, only a simple bell rings, not the latest chart hit, and no, you can't go online or run whatsapp, and yes, live ist still worth living with this device.)

Now that's just crazy!!!  Real buttons even?!

🙂 

12 minutes ago, halfcoupler said:

(For the millennials: The buttons are real, you can feel them click when you press them, and when someone calls you, only a simple bell rings, not the latest chart hit, and no, you can't go online or run whatsapp, and yes, live ist still worth living with this device.)

Millennials are already 25-40 years old - you're probably thinking of Gen Z! 😂

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mjm said:

you to see the inherent flaw here

Yes...I admit I'm over a barrel on this one and have no reply...it is valid...Here is the thing...

I cannot see myself stopping the use of the cloud and go back to old ways..

I cannot see myself stoping the use of my smartphone...& going back to a land line.  (I have been turning my phone off for 12-24hr a few times during the week as a test)

Unless I just plain get out of the business...

I guess we are just trading one set of problems for another...

There is this guy that rides around on his bicycle and he carries tree climbing geared and hand saws...all on his bike...He is an arborist.  With very low overhead. I'm starting to think in that direction...

Edited by digitalcarbon
  • Like 1

Chop wood, carry water.  I felt the same 50 years ago and did it. Built a house with nothing but hand tools (OK a friend had a wood miser for the timbers) and no electricity. Designed a climate refrigerator. Gardened with others. Back to the land.  It was great.  Very quiet. Best time of my life.

TODAY:  I am a CAD monkey in a noisy city who just bought their first ever smart phone (iPhone 12).  At 70, I embraced the digital lifestyle because I have no choice financially due to the choices I made back then.  Go figure.  There'll be no gold watch at the farewell banquet.

I can only hope that, after fueled by the digital universe I came to accept, when the marauding masses take names and come for me,  they make it quick.🙂

Edited by bc
  • Like 3
56 minutes ago, bc said:

Chop wood, carry water.  I felt the same 50 years ago and did it. Built a house with nothing but hand tools (OK a friend had a wood miser for the timbers) and no electricity. Designed a climate refrigerator. Gardened with others. Back to the land.  It was great.  Very quiet. Best time of my life.

TODAY:  I am a CAD monkey in a noisy city who just bought their first ever smart phone (iPhone 12).  At 70, I embraced the digital lifestyle because I have no choice financially due to the choices I made back then.  Go figure.  There'll be no gold watch at the farewell banquet.

I can only hope that, after fueled by the digital universe I came to accept, when the marauding masses take names and come for me,  they make it quick.🙂

@bcevery word, 100%

1 hour ago, digitalcarbon said:

I have the climbing equipment...

and of course I"m a natural...

Most gripping cinema I've watched for some time, and I just got through both the entire Star Wars Canon & the entire Marvel-verse, both in timeline order, with my kids.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...