Disaster Prepare Month

Ok, so an event happens and you have 30 min to evacuate...you have a family to gather and in-laws to rally....

You come back a few days later and your office is burned to the ground...everything gone.

So you make sure the family & In-laws are ok.

How long would it take to get your business back up an running?

Currently I have some people working for me that are each about 100-150 miles away.  

So they could hold the fort until I got up and running.

I'm slowly getting the feeling that a centralized office is an old paradigm.

My Google docs, sheets etc would be easy access...(the storage & the apps to run what I stored)

My iCloud would be easy access...(the storage & the apps to run what I stored)

My OpenBOM would be easy access...(the storage & the app to run what I stored)

My Onshape would be easy access...(the storage & the app to run what I stored)

My Dropbox would be easy access...(the storage but not the apps to run what I stored)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So people are emailing me with their phones so that means that the could based systems are running because they can be run on mobile devises...granted I would not want to run anything off my phone but i have done work off my iPad....

So all the cloud based stuff would work...

to run the office you would need a generator to run the office servers then you can connect to internet with iPhone...

or have people out of State working for you...

The office that is down is not cloud based...but maybe they use dropbox which means they are in a way but they cannot work on anything...

we will see how this plays out

Edited by digitalcarbon

Power expected to be out into the weekend...spoke to some who are bringing in generators to run their office etc...do these offices have quick connect generator panel so they can just throw a switch and run off the generator line? or do they need to have extension cords running (thru the building) directly to the electronics?

Is the server room door going to be left open to make room for the extension cords to pass through?

All this make shift "after the fact" patch work creates more chaos...

And we all know what happens when chaos starts...In a few days they will have a T-Rex chasing them...

actually, after about 3 days w/o power things really start to fall apart...

water & fuel runs out...

and I forgot about looters...

have experience all the above...

except for the T-Rex... 

Edited by digitalcarbon
  • Like 3

Good topic brought home to me. Terrible fire in my neighborhood commercial district this week. Prelim cause is overheated attic electrical system at one business. No death or injury except one firefighter reported an injury. Unfortunate for him, but not serious. 150 responders, so not a bad injury record.   Corner building at two arterials totaled. 5 businesses totaled. Neighboring buildings and businesses temporarily affected (closures, smoke and water damage, etc). All had employees now without work, sales and tax records (on disk? hopefully backed up and accessible), fixtures, merchandize and other assets and investments - all gone. This corner will probably be demolished and redeveloped causing couple years of construction disruption in street/traffic and surrounding walk in retail.

Records and projects in cloud and perhaps equipment in multi locations looks pretty good.

Stay safe and prepared folks.

-B

• 5 months later...
On 9/11/2019 at 9:31 AM, digitalcarbon said:

a centralized office is an old paradigm.

apparently this is true for a shelter-in-place event...

I never thought about it...I always expected a SIP to be a few days...not weeks...

so if a firm sends home its staff and they take the office computers with them...then what?  

I have no centralized office... did not need to send anyone home..

Been using Skype and Google Sheets/Docs etc

Stay safe everyone

• Like 2
1 hour ago, digitalcarbon said:

so an office needs the ability to go to 100% (work at home) and collaborate as seamless as possible...

Looks like the pandemic is a kick in the pants in that direction. Spy software to watch remote workers is now in high demand by employers. 

Even construction industry could take a few steps toward remote work on site. Some affordable, hardy, reliable tablet or glasses that can display and communicate about design intent and feedback trade worker’s immediate context and comments . This would eliminate those meetups with supervisor and the big roll of paper drawings. Anyway workers could be more autonomous with such a tech upgrade. 
-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • Like 1

how much does a building cost to run for 100 person architectural office?   so if everyone worked at home and you spent money on upgrading their tech would that not be a cost savings? 

just spoke to the company i do work for...one person feels that they are all more productive because they don't have a busy office around them...nor the boss constantly interrupting...all that time wasted on a second car and commuting...parking lots...add that into the 100 person building...

just spoke to my brother-in-law...his 3 children are doing their school work on-line with the school that they use to go to...everyone is done with their work by noon...

now they do chores, like cleaning the bathroom in the afternoon (house keeper no longer showing up)...

why are we gathering in big buildings again? ok...to build cars and such ok yes...

Asking, not snarking: Do you think the carpenter or electrician could efficiently view, markup, communicate, display problems and questions via those existing softwares  in a noisy rainy sire or in bright sun up on a lift. Seems it could work now, but I have seen zero implementation.   Might require loads of training if all that software is required. Maybe it’s out there already in bigger projects than I encounter. Equipment is rather fragile at this time. Military probably has some great stuff!

-B

• Like 2

i understand the "i want paper" i would rather read a Popular Mechanics at the local library vs my tablet at home...but the difference is that projects are never done...even when its stamped and labeled done its still not done...so i would live with digital 

note the following candid remarks (1:16) as to implementation of BBR...

Edited by digitalcarbon

Agree completely Benson-Shaw - a lot of tools have been over-marked\oversold - I think if they spent their money on development we may have better tools. I often end up in windy, cold, very windy, high humid conditions, lost of dust etc - sometimes all in a day - a smartphone and a measuring wheel is my main workflow at moment, plus pics, plus knowing my body dimensions - show 340mm, pace 920mm etc. And a sheet of paper in see-thru sleeve on an A3 of thin ply. 

When lockdown ends I'm hoping for an EMLID GNSS which will simplify things. BUT the free flowing conversations possible over a piece of paper - that is a hard thing to replace with tech.

I do deal with a few larger companies - in my experience tech ability falls with size, maybe institutional lag\tradition and the old order resisting change.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok,  so the internet down for one of my team members using VW...while she could still work because its not cloud based, we are still down due to file sharing and communication (Skype Screen sharing)...she can work off her phone data as an internet...we decided to wait till things get back up and running...My Onshape people are up and running...this only means that the internet is out for one part of the State of Mass and not for others...It could have been very easily out for my Onshape team...

The point is that we depend on the internet even if our main cad is not cloud based...

My Bluebeam Revu is also held up by internet being down...the syncing with others part...  

Edited by digitalcarbon
  • 3 weeks later...

I was talking to my friend who is a heavy Solid Works user...his company sent everyone home at the beginning of Covid to work from home.  About 20+ people...

I called him yesterday & this is what he said...

1st. The company is still trying to iron out the PLM* end of things...this has been going on for the past 2 years even though they have a dedicated person assigned to this PLM Issue...They have a lot of issues managing the entire mass of 3d data they have developed over the years.  A lot of time is spent managing this mass of data.

2nd. This past week 4 of the 8 servers the company manages went down. Causing a 2 day shut down for all the workers.  They have an IT dept but his opinion was that the servers are not getting the care they should be getting.  These servers are in a room in the company.  

"Product lifecycle management (PLM) refers to the management of data and processes used in the design, engineering, manufacturing, sales, and service of a product across its entire lifecycle."

• Like 1