schematic view issues

Sebastiaan

Question

I just did a quick little test for schematic views.

I created a hanging position from 4 pieces of truss.And 1 lighting instrument. I choose to use geometry for the hanging position.

Creating the schematic view takes multiple minutes of beachball to complete.

Once the schematic view is there only 1 out of 4 pieces of truss is displayed in the schematic view. (the one that has the instrument attached.)

Moving a schematic view takes another couple of minutes of beachball.

I can not rake a hanging position that has no instruments attached unless I check draw 3d only. But checking draw 3D only makes the schematic view not visible.

Deleting a schematic view takes another couple of minutes of beachball.

Can this be looked at?

1636624789_ScreenShot2019-09-11at13_22_31.thumb.png.ab8271ad4ad85df3940d7c2db7f45eee.png

Edited by Sebastiaan

7 answers to this question

Hello Sebastian,

The issue seems to be related to the hanging position object. You should be able to do everything that you are trying to do without needing to create a hanging position. Essentially the schematic view command makes a schematic view object for every piece of truss and each lighting device. By converting the truss into a hanging position object, Vectorworks technically considers it one object which can make things tricky. 

This is something that we will look into. For now I would suggest not creating a hanging position.

3 hours ago, BSeigel said:

Hello Sebastian,

The issue seems to be related to the hanging position object. You should be able to do everything that you are trying to do without needing to create a hanging position. Essentially the schematic view command makes a schematic view object for every piece of truss and each lighting device. By converting the truss into a hanging position object, Vectorworks technically considers it one object which can make things tricky. 

This is something that we will look into. For now I would suggest not creating a hanging position.

Hi Thanks for your reply. 

I tried not creating a  hanging position with a eurotruss circle. By just selecting the pieces of the circle. And this resulted in all the cuts of the circle displayed next to each other in the schematic view instead of in a circle config. 

I don’t mean to be a smart ass or anything. But the whole workflow of vwx and Braceworks revolves around the use of hanging positions. How could this great new feature not be designed to work with hanging positions? 

Edited by Sebastiaan
  • Love 1

I just tried a straight truss 4 pieces of interal 3mtr and one lighting instrument.

If I move the instrument in the schematic view, the instrument in the raked truss does not move accordingly834212754_ScreenShot2019-09-11at23_38_53.thumb.png.3e9c09812e4d53f98229e26f06270327.png

122285458_ScreenShot2019-09-11at23_38_39.thumb.png.edd777121df51cc3a3cdacbda0a9264b.png

Then a schematic view of a non hanging position with a circle truss and one instrument

1755376414_ScreenShot2019-09-11at23_50_31.thumb.png.01196bfb29432d37ff1d884a8decca9b.png

Edit: test file attached

Untitled 1.vwx

Edited by Sebastiaan

@Sebastiaan Thank you for the test file. I've spent the morning working through various workflows on this file and honed in a couple of the key issues. These issues have already been submitted to our engineering team: VB-165010

In the first example you listed in the file, you can only move the lighting device and have it properly attach to a different pieces of truss in the original 3D model. This will update correctly in the schematic view objects. For now, the schematic view lighting devices do not seem to understand when they are being attached to a different piece of schematic view truss. While it may not be ideal, you can avoid this issue for now by using a single piece of straight truss. 

In the second example, I ended up with the same result, but it only took about 30sec to process. This does not occur when you have the circle truss lying flat, convert it to a hanging position and then you create schematic view objects. The primary issue is that there is no top/plan representation (usually shown by gray 3D geometry) being drawn when the rotated truss is converted to a hanging position. These issues are known and currently being addressed. Feel free to let me know if you find any other issues. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, BSeigel said:

@Sebastiaan Thank you for the test file. I've spent the morning working through various workflows on this file and honed in a couple of the key issues. These issues have already been submitted to our engineering team: VB-165010

In the first example you listed in the file, you can only move the lighting device and have it properly attach to a different pieces of truss in the original 3D model. This will update correctly in the schematic view objects. For now, the schematic view lighting devices do not seem to understand when they are being attached to a different piece of schematic view truss. While it may not be ideal, you can avoid this issue for now by using a single piece of straight truss. 

In the second example, I ended up with the same result, but it only took about 30sec to process. This does not occur when you have the circle truss lying flat, convert it to a hanging position and then you create schematic view objects. The primary issue is that there is no top/plan representation (usually shown by gray 3D geometry) being drawn when the rotated truss is converted to a hanging position. These issues are known and currently being addressed. Feel free to let me know if you find any other issues. 

Glad to hear the issue is being addressed. This is one feature that excited me when it was announced on teaser Tuesday. So i’m Looking forward to improvements! Thanx

Btw in my file just about every action took several minutes to complete. Creating, moving and deleting the schematic view. 

Hi I've also been playing with this tool and i have to say its really not ready..........

I started the same way as Sebastiaan and made some hanging positions and then manipulating them to an angle.  Needless to say schematic view didn't work... i also crashed many times.

I think the bugs above speak for themselves i just need to add that this tool needs to be built around hanging positions.  Because of the link to braceworks and the link to lighting data for position and weight tacking in positions.  The idea is to add smart tools to make design and implementation paperwork easier and faster to justify the value of your software!!!!

Editing a symbol of a hanging position is a very easy and time effective way of changing the makeup of a truss when you have a supplier or artistic reason to do so.  These design process need to be thought about when implementing a new tool like this.

Further bugs...... And these are only what i have found in 1hr of testing today!!!!!!!! (how this was not done in your internal testing i don't know!!!!!)

1.  You can't add lights to the Schematic!!! that's so bad it's unreal. 

2. If you add lights to the plan view of the angled truss it added them in the wrong orientation and height relative to the truss.  I inserted a straight truss added 2 lights then made a schematic view.  I then decided i wanted more lights on that truss.  I tried to add them to the schematic but this doesn't add them to the main drawing.  So i add them from plan view onto the angled truss.. This puts them all at different heights as the snaps don't work properly. Also note the angles of the light bodys!

404381532_Screenshot2019-09-26at10_16_14.thumb.png.ee644d163e33a72d56dd75c1b6e29d31.png

3. Align and Distribute tools inside the schematic dont work properly.  The below image shows the align tool being used to fix the height issue by inserting lights after making the schematic was created.

1881298974_Screenshot2019-09-26at10_18_26.thumb.png.3c1ce7b8c2e84530466ff8e160dd1ea1.png

The bellow image is what happens when i try and distribute the lights using align distribute between to points (lighting spotlight tool)897294857_Screenshot2019-09-26at10_19_10.thumb.png.5fa2fc693e42f156e0e39c2281aa16dd.png

As you can see no only do the heights mess up again the ordering on the units is wrong.  It must be taking the X and Y and re ordering the lights.

This is how it looks in 3d after i've done these things to try and get my light into a correct line on the truss using aline and distribute tools.

1615845363_Screenshot2019-09-26at10_36_47.thumb.png.6a58c9a250db52fdf6324a507be4162d.pngAll kinds of wrong.....

4. Vertical issues.

I then tried to add a single piece of pre-rig truss add a light turn it vertical and then add another light.  The snaps and the way schematic both break.  I added a light the only place it would snap to is the bottom of the vertical pre-rig and it shows in the wrong place on the schematic.

1959430922_Screenshot2019-09-26at10_38_51.thumb.png.72df9f05998c64f49077d76003e5c37f.png290713543_Screenshot2019-09-26at10_25_44.thumb.png.c112ffeeb7b40ebfa9d494c856347a62.png

5. Umbrella crash.  The tool hangs way to much......

Also hanging position schematic - 87871483_Screenshot2019-09-26at11_06_03.thumb.png.65febfb2f8806844ba1a947f090ad43d.png

This tool is currently slower than my older methods of doing this!!!!! and lots of its function which would be second nature to make sure work before release dont work!

Screenshot 2019-09-26 at 10.21.31.png

Test2020.vwx

• Like 2