lisagravy

Georeferencing settings

I've upgraded to VW2020 and as a GIS champion, I love the look of the geoimage tools and being able to tap into these libraries! 

However - I've opened an existing file, which is located correctly in terms of X, Y location as E, N location in relation to British National Grid. I want to change the geo referencing settings in the file to pick this up, and I've got the EPSG code 27700 - but I seem to need to also input the lat / long of the internal origin?

This is an issue for me because I've already centred the drawing on the internal origin, which is at something like X: 270545.936m Y: 846170.209m - i.e. not an easily convertible integer. 

I'm sure I could find an online converter, but I don't want there to be any issues with conversion, because I need to use my file for construction setting out - so I need millimetre tolerances on the co-ordinates. British Geological Society only convert to the nearest metre.

Does this mean I can only do this with new files - like set the 0,0 origin to the attached lat / long settings before drawing anything? Or am I missing something? 

Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 11.56.48.png

• Like 1

Hi Lisa

Yes, these new features are very exciting!

When you select the 27700 EPSG code (presume you are looking at File > Document Settings > Georeferencing), you can indeed enter the coordinates that you want to use for the Internal origin. However, as your drawing is already centered, instead, you can use the new Geolocate tool to click on the point on the drawing which you would like to use as the internal origin. This will update the files in the Georeferencing dialog for you with the coordinates of your click point.

@lisagravy check your decimal accuracy settings. And Tamsin is correct. Just set using the Geolocate tool. If you are concerned with the file as you are not used to the new workflow. Make a duplicate file to test with. This will allow you to play and not alter the original file.

Thanks both - the problem I'm having with the geolocate tool is that is seems to move my drawing along with the internal origin? If I choose a point I'd like the internal origin to be - for example using a stake tool - and then use the geolocate tool to move my internal origin to this point, my drawing seems to move in relation to this as well? Does that make sense? 

Yes, check in your layers and ensure that the drawing layer is set to Georeference. try toggling that on and off to understand the difference. This will set the drawing at the geo ref vs the point set by page zero zero.

Let me know more if you need. HTH!!!

Thanks @bgoff - but I'm still struggling with this? I'm toggling geo referencing on for each layer. This allows me to move the internal origin without automatically moving my drawing. But I'm getting close to the right results but not there! So just trying to establish the workflow? 

Right now I am: 

- Toggling all layers to georeferenced

- Using 'geolocate' to move the internal origin to a point at which I know the lat and long values

- Using file > document settings > georeferencing to put in those lat / long values.

Below screengrab of the results I'm getting - you can see the line of existing trees on the aerial vs the drawing.

Any help gratefully received! 

1448295698_Screenshot2019-09-11at14_29_42.thumb.png.84fc8892641a2e6db17b1254ab6605e5.png

@lisagravy I will dive into this and get back to you in a bit. Also If you could PM me your file I will be happy to look at it and get back to you.

@bgoff Thank you - advice much appreciated! Think my file is too large to send... but if there's an easy way and this helps, happy to send you a copy.

I am working on the tech tip right now!!  OK! Not right now as I am writing this. But it should be out soon! 

@lisagravy If you want to upload the file to Vectorworks Cloud Services, you are welcome to send me a link to it, along with Bryan. We'll work on it together from both sides of the Atlantic!

• Like 1

Thanks @Tamsin Slatter - I've already emailed the file to Bryan, but have uploaded to Cloud Services too. 

As I've explained to Bryan, the positioning I have in the file currently isn't technically geo-referenced, but the X position directly relates to the Easting position of British National Grid, and the Y position directly relates to the northing, accurate to millimetre precision - so if georeferencing is likely to move this at all or change the accuracy of the current positioning I don't want to go there, as I need to be able to use the drawing for Construction setting out for a Contractor to this level of accuracy? 

It's an exciting tool though so I'm hopeful I can use it! 

Ill show in a video and all should be perfect!

• Like 2

A comprehensive video on this subject would be great.  I think once people see it in use its so much easier to understand vs trying to interpret the help files.

• Like 1