Daniel B. Chapman

Schematic View 3D Rotating (Booms)

I would also love any insights into a more efficient workflow for this. Same as above my normal workflow would be something along the lines of draw lighting pipe, rotate to standing, convert to hanging position, hang lights from there. However, the schematic front view when I do this places the lights and position at a perpendicular angle from each other. The workaround so far is create the light pipe, create the schematic view in top view, rotate the pipe to standing, place my instruments. If I try to convert my light pipe to a hanging position before instruments but after schematic view the schematic no longer works as it still references the light pipe which technically only exists as the base for the hanging position so any lights added do not show up.2004859388_SchematicTest.thumb.JPG.1889335ed23b96af705a5caea6dc84dc.JPG

• Like 2

Ok, I've been playing around more with this and here's another example where we need more functionality to get the schematics to lay out correctly:

Here's an example of my "ladder" position with a light focused upstage and a light focused as side light. As you can see the plan view doesn't take into account the rotation against the normal (Y) axis.

image.thumb.png.7281b7c0d61b634f5adf4636fffd286e.png

image.thumb.png.d7d9780ac8198c1ac2bf23b7aa24ad84.png

I would love the ability to set the orientation of the top view of the symbol. I'm sure I can "make this work" by rotating the position but this assumes all my lights are hung the same way in all positions. We really need to be able to control a few more variables in the schematic view.

Similarly this doesn't show an accurate depiction of the 3D model in other views:

image.thumb.png.6abb030ed2d637fe49ab573d22d8a939.png

To correct this I'm forced to rotate my hanging position base symbol into the orientation I want the lights drawn and then re-rotate it into the actual model space to get it to lay out. For the most part I'm able to work around this to get the paperwork to layout properly, but I can envision a situation where I'm going to need to draw the units differently and I need a finer grain of control. Something like "use layer plane rotation" rather than whatever the model is laying out in.

• Like 1

i know I say this a lot, but it seems like it would be helpful to spend a few hours creating yoked out versions of your typically used symbols. Then you can layout your booms and ladders in 2D in the actual way the fixtures hang and not have to rely on the “rotate 3D” functionality. This would also give you an accurate 2D representation. 

This is not necessarily a VW provided suggestion, but instead a way to improve your personal workflow. This is what a few of us do and it works quite well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scottmoore said:

i know I say this a lot, but it seems like it would be helpful to spend a few hours creating yoked out versions of your typically used symbols. Then you can layout your booms and ladders in 2D in the actual way the fixtures hang and not have to rely on the “rotate 3D” functionality. This would also give you an accurate 2D representation. 

This is not necessarily a VW provided suggestion, but instead a way to improve your personal workflow. This is what a few of us do and it works quite well. 

IN fact, I needed to do this very task with a Martin Mac III for a roof  mount. Took me under two minutes to create the dup, rotate it to satisfy my need and…done.

@scottmoore

This topic is addressing the schematic views and their 2D representation, not the 3D orientation. Advice is always welcome, but in this case I'm interested in having my 3D model (Vision/Capture/Blender) match my Vectorworks model (2D printing plates). 

Hi Alex. I will hopefully have these webinars in place before christmas. Workload depending. There will be content available on our new training site. Vectorworks University.

Best wishes

Tom W

Hi Austin, Yes we did the webinar, I believe its going on to the Vectorworks University soon! Apologies forgot to update this thread.

Are you on the facebook group?

Our office just upgraded to 2020 and we are having some similar confusion regarding the intended behavior of the schematic view tools. It seems that creating schematic views from a ladder (not a hang position) and a ladder (converted to a hang position) has different results in the schematic view. For our purposes, the schematic view created by a ladder that is not a hang position results in what we expected to see (a front view with 2D lighting symbols and label legends). When you create a schematic view of ladder that has been converted to a hang position, the front view schematic shows front view 3D lighting symbols. Sure this is useful for showing how the fixtures are physically hung, but we also want the ability to show the 2D symbols and label legends for fixture info.

Attached is my test file.

Schematic View Tests.pdf Schematic View Tests.vwx