VWX 2020 - Bug - Saving dimension settings

Andrew Davies

Question

• New file
  • Document settings>Units.  Select the units you want (I chose mm, show unit length, comma for thousand separators and square meters for area
  • Save settings as a new set (top left)
  • Settings are saved and units show ok.
  • Open a new file (or even stay in same file)
  • Go back to Document settings>Units and select the previous settings set
  • Units are set back to feet and inches (in my case)

I also got this very odd display - see attached. 5 feet and 1mm?

Really - what is going on?  Was this software tested before release?

Screenshot 2019-09-10 at 21.09.21.png

10 answers to this question

After making the changes you want to set you need to save a Default Template file and then select that as the base for your new files when you create a new file.  

The Template file doesn't need to be named Default.  It can be named anything of your choosing.  The important thing is that you set it in the pop-up list when you create a new file so that it is the one that is used.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Andrew, I've just tested your workflow above and I am able to reproduce it. I will file a bug report immediately.

Of course, the workaround described by Mike is to create a template that already has the unit settings you desire, and start your new documents from this file. This is the method I have always used, so I'm afraid this was not caught in my personal testing. But we will get it to the engineers today.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

Andrew, I've just tested your workflow above and I am able to reproduce it. I will file a bug report immediately.

Of course, the workaround described by Mike is to create a template that already has the unit settings you desire, and start your new documents from this file. This is the method I have always used, so I'm afraid this was not caught in my personal testing. But we will get it to the engineers today.

Thanks Tamsin

It is not a bug.  It is working as designed (WAD).   Dimensions are not a global preference.  They are a file preference.

When you set Dimension preferences you are only doing it for the active file.  If you want those preferences to become a default for your work you can only do it by saving those settings as part of a Template file.  To 'recall' them you then need to use that template file as the 'base' for the new file you are creating.

Or you can create a unique 'Dimension Style' and then import that.  Easier to incorporate it as part of your 'template file'.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 9/11/2019 at 1:16 PM, mike m oz said:

It is not a bug.  It is working as designed (WAD).   Dimensions are not a global preference.  They are a file preference.

When you set Dimension preferences you are only doing it for the active file.  If you want those preferences to become a default for your work you can only do it by saving those settings as part of a Template file.  To 'recall' them you then need to use that template file as the 'base' for the new file you are creating.

Or you can create a unique 'Dimension Style' and then import that.  Easier to incorporate it as part of your 'template file'.

Hi Mike

The bug is what happens when you recall a set of saved units (in metric) in a file that was previously imperial. The resulting dimensions, units and rulers are displayed with the feet unit marker. (e.g. 3'4mm instead of 34mm).

Of course, the workaround is simply to save your desired unit settings in a template, so that you don't need to recall saved unit settings. Start each project from your own template and you won't have the problem.

Update - I have just had a notification that this bug will be resolved in SP2.