Data Tag Enhancements...huhhh?

• Administrator

1 hour ago, Tom Klaber said:

I watched the video on the enhancements to the data tag - but I could not understand it all.  The video stops well short of showing examples of how to use these new features

It was a tough video to make, I'm not going to lie and seems like we ended it up short with the explanation. My apologies. For this reason, we will be working on a more in-depth tutorial to cover the more than 15 plus improvements part of this task.

Just to give you an idea of some of the improvements:

R1.      Users must be able to choose how to insert wall-aligned Data Tags.

R2.      Users must be able to choose auto-placement’s offset behavior.

R3.      Users must be able to choose the next value of auto-increment fields in the Preference dialogue.

R4.      Users must be able to define instance-based scaling of Data Tag graphics.

R5.      Users must be able to copy data tag value(s) in associated object’s records or IFC.

R6.      Users must be able to choose the units displayed in a Data Tag field.

R7.      Users must be able to display the current date using any common international standard.

R8.      Users must be able to extract IFC pSet values, regardless of the object’s IfcEntity.

R9.      Users must be able to extract data from Data Tags into a worksheet.

R10.   Users must be able to edit data coming from more than one source in the “Edit Tag Data” dialogue.

R11.   Users must see a better preview (not just the leader) when they are dragging a Data Tag.

R12.   Third-party developers must be able to create such plug-in objects that the Data Tag tool can search for eligible objects contained in them.

R13.   Users must be able to display data of Record/IFC attached to the Data Tag itself.

R14.   Users must be able to re-tag objects using the Select Eligible Objects Mode of the Data Tag tool if the eligible object doesn’t have an attached Data Tag using the active style.

R15.   Users must be able to associate label-style Data Tags with objects such that they move and are deleted with the tagged object.

Stay tuned for this tutorial!

Juan P.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
14 hours ago, JuanP said:

It was a tough video to make, I'm not going to lie and seems like we ended it up short with the explanation. My apologies. For this reason, we will be working on a more in-depth tutorial to cover the more than 15 plus improvements part of this task.

Just to give you an idea of some of the improvements:

R1.      Users must be able to choose how to insert wall-aligned Data Tags.

R2.      Users must be able to choose auto-placement’s offset behavior.

R3.      Users must be able to choose the next value of auto-increment fields in the Preference dialogue.

R4.      Users must be able to define instance-based scaling of Data Tag graphics.

R5.      Users must be able to copy data tag value(s) in associated object’s records or IFC.

R6.      Users must be able to choose the units displayed in a Data Tag field.

R7.      Users must be able to display the current date using any common international standard.

R8.      Users must be able to extract IFC pSet values, regardless of the object’s IfcEntity.

R9.      Users must be able to extract data from Data Tags into a worksheet.

R10.   Users must be able to edit data coming from more than one source in the “Edit Tag Data” dialogue.

R11.   Users must see a better preview (not just the leader) when they are dragging a Data Tag.

R12.   Third-party developers must be able to create such plug-in objects that the Data Tag tool can search for eligible objects contained in them.

R13.   Users must be able to display data of Record/IFC attached to the Data Tag itself.

R14.   Users must be able to re-tag objects using the Select Eligible Objects Mode of the Data Tag tool if the eligible object doesn’t have an attached Data Tag using the active style.

R15.   Users must be able to associate label-style Data Tags with objects such that they move and are deleted with the tagged object.

Stay tuned for this tutorial!

Juan P.

It's such a shame we weren't able to include the Retro-encapulator though. 😂

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/10/2019 at 1:17 PM, JuanP said:

For this reason, we will be working on a more in-depth tutorial to cover the more than 15 plus improvements part of this task.

@JuanP - I was wondering if the in-depth Data Tags tutorial you mentioned in this post from a year ago was ever created. If so, could I ask you to repost the link? I have read through multiple posts about creating custom Data Tags, and I am still confused. Thank you in advance.