v.2020 now available

Here here!  Back in the old Jim W days (sigh.....) I once ranted on here - then emailed Jim directly to apologise if I was being too harsh. He replied to say to the contrary and how important our views are. 

I hope that’s still the case. 

Fact is we live in this application day to day and rely on it for a living. Nothing worse than a crash or freeze when the todo list is filling up. 

Love the word rabble rouser. May get that printed on a t shirt. 

• Like 3

VW Rabble Rouser.  I'm honoured (I think) to be included in that list @Sean O"Skea.  I don't like to complain but if no one ever did, things would never change.  There are wish list items that have garnered a lot of support, but have not been addressed in any meaningful way and I've only be using VW now for 5 years.  The none action is starting to add up.  Windows/Doors and stairs are the items that matter to me the most.

• Like 1

I'd say I've definitely been a rabble rouser at times. These days I"m pretty aware of all the behind the scenes work that's happening with VW so I'm trying to be patient. I also haven't had much time to work with VW2020 yet.

14 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

1844870680_ScreenShot2019-09-12at5_09_02PM.thumb.png.03091bcff83cd3b7a9842524e6413459.png  vs the new: 832218218_ScreenShot2019-09-12at5_09_11PM.thumb.png.cece811325c1b2c45a2f5d6a177ffd5c.png

I did notice that the icons were different and in places hard to distinguish. The snap ones would definitely benefit from clear points. The tool mode icons are a lot cleaner. Here's an example.

394779596_ScreenShot2019-09-13at8_05_09AM.thumb.png.003b95220917588fc8c2cd965256f7f2.png

I was a little disappointed to learn there wasn't actually a history "list" like in the marketing material 😕

@JuanP is there a list of all the small upgrades in VW2020 that didn't make the marketing materials. @Jim W's list of small upgrades was always the one I looked forward to. Some of the best improvements to VW have only appeared on that list 🙂

Kevin

• Like 1
8 hours ago, SeanOSkea said:

I wish I could assign a hotkey to the interactive scale mode

Sean - here's what I do:

Go to edit workspace

Switch over to the KEYS tab

MODE GROUP 1 - I have changed this to the Tilde Key (above tab in the top left of your keyboard, under esc).  I image you can put any unused key in there.

This lets me cycle through the different modes for all tools with the tilde key - so when I'm in the Selection tool and hit tilde - it tabs me through Interactive scaling off, single, or unrestricted.  I wish I could just hot key on and off, but this is an acceptable solution that I've used for years.   Most don't know that you can cycle through options while live in the tool and drawing, so if I start a rectangle and I'm in the wrong mode, I can change it on the fly midstream.  Play with it.

e.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I was a little disappointed to learn there wasn't actually a history "list" like in the marketing material 😕

This is a major grip of mine.  They have been using this fake GUI in the marketing videos for a few years now (maybe since 17 or 18).  I find it horribly misleading and confusing.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Andrew Davies said:

Doesn’t the “U” key do exactly that straight out of the box?

I think so - I can't remember what the default key is there.  I chose tilde since it is kind of in the same place on my keyboard as it sits in the viewport and I don't use it for anything else and won't accidentally hit it.

3 minutes ago, EAlexander said:

Sean - here's what I do:

Go to edit workspace

Switch over to the KEYS tab

MODE GROUP 1 - I have changed this to the Tilde Key (above tab in the top left of your keyboard, under esc).  I image you can put any unused key in there.

This lets me cycle through the different modes for all tools with the tilde key - so when I'm in the Selection tool and hit tilde - it tabs me through Interactive scaling off, single, or unrestricted.  I wish I could just hot key on and off, but this is an acceptable solution that I've used for years.   Most don't know that you can cycle through options while live in the tool and drawing, so if I start a rectangle and I'm in the wrong mode, I can change it on the fly midstream.  Play with it.

e.

Just now, EAlexander said:

I think so - I can't remember what the default key is there.  I chose tilde since it is kind of in the same place on my keyboard as it sits in the viewport and I don't use it for anything else and won't accidentally hit it.

Yes,  it's U.

image.thumb.png.b4ffab0e15833a5f14fefa05b1f54766.png

11 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

What key did you assign to suspend snapping, since I believe that's tilde be default?

S

🙂

I use:

F flyover

R rectangle

C circle

2 line

M mirror

Shift+ R rotate

Z zoom

P push pull

Shift + F 3D Fillet

D dimension

Shift + D Unconstrained Dimension

Edited by EAlexander
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, EAlexander said:

F flyover

R rectangle

C circle

2 line

M mirror

Shift+ R rotate

Z zoom

P push pull

Shift + F 3D Fillet

D dimension

Shift + D Unconstrained Dimension

Interesting. We think along similar lines. My workspace uses:

W: wand (select similar)

R: rotate

T: trim

O: offset

S: scissors (trim)

F: fillet

K: knife (split)

L: connect/combine (looks like an L)

M: mirror

etc...

It's amazing how much faster my drafting process became once I set up hotkeys that are actually usable. Most of the defaults are too complex, which is a result of half the keyboard usually being eaten up by the mode group and snapping hotkeys, which I seldom use.

At some point I might clean up my workspace a bit and post it on the forum - it'd be interesting to see other people's. Already getting too off topic here, haha.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, rDesign said:

@Kevin McAllister I don’t know how extensive it is, but there is a list of New Features in the Vw2020 Help file. I did read about several new features that I didn’t see mentioned in the marketing materials. Hopefully @JuanP can provide us with a complete list of all the new features.

And update the “What’s new in 2019” at the bottom of this page too!!

1 hour ago, JuanP said:

Yes, here it is: 

2020-additional-task-list.pdf

Fantastic! Thanks Juan. Things in this list are often more important than in the marketing list. Here's my personal top 5  -

1. T01961 - VGM Selection Indication

Drawing of Selection Indication, including pre-selection highlighting, will be ported to the VGM (it is currently implemented as raw OpenGL calls in the core). The main advantages are performance (which allows selection to draw during interactive frames), flexibility to change the selection look in the future, and consolidating OpenGL code in the VGM.

2. T01962 - Title Block Border 3.0

- Make it possible for users to specify if Text fields of Project/Sheet data are multiline or single line

- Improve the workflow of editing TBB layout and data by reopening the TBB settings dialog if Edit TBB Layout was called from it

3. T02000 - Renderworks 2020

This task improves Renderworks user experience and performance, by utilizing the new Vectorworks Graphics Sync (VGS) API. Benefits to the user are a non-blocking and multi-threaded Geometry phase during Renderworks rendering, and very quick scene changes once the geometry is initially loaded. These enhancements allow the user to continue making changes to the model without waiting, to see the rendering sooner, and to reduce their time to decision.

4. T02020 - Vectorworks User Accounts

We are moving towards supporting a single Vectorworks user account for every user (a.k.a. Single Sign-On (SSO)) that works across all of our systems. This task integrates that Vectorworks user account concept fully into the Vectorworks application.

5. T02025 - Batch Rename

This task will introduce a new utility command that allows users to batch rename multiple classes, layers, viewports, saved views and resources.

Kevin

• Like 3

@EAlexander Oh that's a good point. Of course you can. The U I O keys change the mode by default. I use those all the time to cycle through wall or double line offsets. I wonder why I never thought to use it for the interactive mode? But I'd never give up my ` key to moment-switch off snapping. I use that all the time. Probably why I don't use the hotkeys for the snapping. I leave everything on all the time and then just tilde them off with they cause trouble. 

@Andy Broomell Yeah for years I kept my stuff at default 'cause half the time I'm in the classroom with students using there factory-fresh academic versions. But I manage to keep shortcuts for PS, Blender, Unreal, and two or three others straight in my head, so a year ago or so I changed a bunch of hotkeys and menus and I love it. I don't know why I didn't do it years ago. And EAlexander's list just made me realize C is up for grabs to! I don't think I've ever used that to zoom. 

• Like 1