v.2020 now available

On 9/20/2019 at 1:05 PM, Clint Alderman said:

Agree. The GUI design is headed in the wrong direction.

Prefer VW2019 to VW2020. 

Just gotta say, the Worksheet Icon is not useful, because it looks like a sheet of notepaper, not columns and rows, which is the heart/soul of a worksheet

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 3.24.29 PM.png

Well, overall the new Icons are not my taste, aesthetic and ideals at all.

My hopes and expectations where quite different and it feels pity.

But the situation is not worse than it was before.

As they finally bring one function, they help to group similar Tools by a

similar look, differentiate different workflow's Tools and look like done

by one hand.

Apps often have myriads of Icons, so the one or other Outliers likely

get some extra love and improve over time.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, mjm said:

Just gotta say, the Worksheet Icon is not useful, because it looks like a sheet of notepaper, not columns and rows, which is the heart/soul of a worksheet

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 3.24.29 PM.png

Good example of why it’s a best practice to have a user group to test review UX design. The icon is attractive. My first guess of it’s function would be a calendar wizard. It would take much to make this look more like a worksheet. 

I am surprised that the new icons where not released for user feedback before the update. I see no reason why the original icons had to be replaced. It was not on any wish list I have seen. 

I am disappointed that VW have not replied to this thread of upset loyal users and given any justification for the change.

Maybe they work better with a black background and on apple macs.

• Like 1
On 9/19/2019 at 8:09 AM, mjm said:

More icon madness:

Which square is selected as locus for acting on this object? My poor eyes. 

(edit to add that the screenshot displays much larger than reality, see second screenshot for a relative comparison)

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 3.06.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 3.10.50 PM.png

Dark mode further highlights what a ridiculous amount of space LOD controls take up.

17 hours ago, scottmoore said:

I just upgraded and will have to agree; the new icons are abysmal. Not sure why there was a need for this other than dark mode. 

That said, navigation is much, much faster so that is really exciting for me. 

I should quantify that and say that 3D navigation seems to be much quicker. Lots of other, simple processes seem to be hanging up the processor momentarily. Probably more so than in 2019, however the lags themselves seem to be shorter. Just opinions based on working on the same file from 2019. No specific data tests. 

41 minutes ago, scottmoore said:

I should quantify that and say that 3D navigation seems to be much quicker. Lots of other, simple processes seem to be hanging up the processor momentarily. Probably more so than in 2019, however the lags themselves seem to be shorter. Just opinions based on working on the same file from 2019. No specific data tests. 

This has been my experience as well.

Edited by Wesley Burrows

I do find it odd that the engineers/designers put all that effort into updating icons but they completely ignored the actual application icon.  I am pretty sure that icon has changed on every iteration of the software for as long as I’ve been using MiniCad/VW.  For those of us that leave the previous versions on our computers for a few weeks until we are certain that the new version is stable, that is a little confusing. Again, not a huge deal, but just a little odd. 

28 minutes ago, mjm said:

Another oddity is that a design layer with a reference pdf imported to it will slow tasks and navigation down intolerably. Hiding said layer allows normal operations. 
had to export to vw2019 in order to get that task done. 

That is interesting. I am working on a file with a lot of design layer viewports and the venue as a reference file. 3D navigation is actually pretty great. No more waiting for lighting instruments to populate one at a time. Navigating in 3D space is nearly immediate which is a huge improvement in performance in my opinion. It appears that publishing is more efficient as well.  

@mjm 

On 9/29/2019 at 7:37 AM, mjm said:

Another oddity is that a design layer with a reference pdf imported to it will slow tasks and navigation down intolerably. Hiding said layer allows normal operations. 

Yeah, I've had that problem for years. Not just the last two versions. 

14 hours ago, SeanOSkea said:

@mjm 

Yeah, I've had that problem for years. Not just the last two versions. 

On 9/29/2019 at 7:37 AM, mjm said:

Is this with snapping for the PDF turned on or off? I've found that a lot of snaps/snapping point does this. I believe the snap/snap highlighting system is still single core and hasn't been migrated to the VGM yet. Turn off snaps to test. The selection system was recently moved over so I would assume the snap system is on the list to be upgraded. Maybe @JuanP knows more.

Kevin

Another thing for PDF underlays is that they don't get cached in GPU.

So when zooming they have to be redrawn/recalculated every time.

In such cases I create an image File (PNG) at a reasonable resolution from

my PDF.

You can't snap of course (mostly not that accurate with PDF anyway),

but Viewport Navigation is usually much better with an image file,

although large pixel resolutions.

On 9/10/2019 at 10:14 AM, Tom Klaber said:

Our friends in lighting and entertainment seem to have a lot more to be excited about for 2020.  I have mentioned this before - but I am scared that VW is slowly shifting to an entertainment-focused software.   

The architecture video is pretty sad - concentrating so much on inline / in-menu editing - which is great - but long overdue.  

Heres hoping that the new stair tool and UI just take a couple of years to get right and we will have a landmark release in 2021.

@zoomer — thanks man, I thought I'd noticed that difference when someone sent me a jpg of a floor plan for my underlay. 

Just downloaded and opened up VW2020 - not to pile on to a dead horse here, but good lord what happened to all the icons???

The new art style feels like a step back - it's just a bit too cartoony and feels more visually cluttered/harder to digest at a glance.

• Like 2