v.2020 now available

6 minutes ago, Andrew Davies said:

Ohh you’ve gone full dark mode. I’m not hard core enough for that!

@Andrew Davies In theory, yes, but just beginning  to dig in. The white sheet presented in the dark interface was too much contrast for me, hurt to look at, so I am trying to use the 'black background' choice. Not as smooth going as I'd hoped, perhaps just for the overall unfamiliarity of it. 

• Like 1

@Andrew Davies Thanks Andrew 

Hopefully us PCers will get that option in the first SP. Everything else I use, Photoshop, Blender, Premiere etc has that nice charcoal UI but in VW I still need to put on my sunglasses, at least for a while now. I'm actually not impressed with the new icons. I agree with whoever posted that they look a bit Windows 95. Also ticked that I've spent like a 1000 hours this summer updating all my class tutorials for my students using 19. And now, for the first time in a decade they decide to change all the icons! Sigh. 

• Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Christiaan said:
2 hours ago, Taproot said:

After studying the new door tool, the barn door functionality that was added appears to be a direct integration of the Marionette tool that was developed and posted elsewhere on this site.  If I am right in that regard, that means that the engineering team is using graphical scripting to code the standard tools AND that strikes me as a game changer for future tool development.  For example doors and windows can be constructed using if/then conditions versus all fixed parameters, etc.

That's interesting. How can you tell?

The Barn Door configuration was implemented in the same manner as the other configurations and independent from the Marionette object. Integrating Marionette objects into the Door object sounds appealing, but I believe there would be a number of challenges with this. The first issue would be performance. That said, it still would be interesting to explore! 🙂

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

The Barn Door configuration was implemented in the same manner as the other configurations and independent from the Marionette object. Integrating Marionette objects into the Door object sounds appealing, but I believe there would be a number of challenges with this. The first issue would be performance. That said, it still would be interesting to explore! 🙂

Well, there goes that theory!  Matt - thanks for the insight.

• Like 1

this is a good point, shading and 3d like graphic elaborations do not help.  The screen resolution, graphic cards etc all get significantly better, I would recommend just sharpening up old icons and use color and fill sparingly and only when necessary. I am on Mac and I have been using Dark Mode for 2019, for 2020 there is no way I can use Dark Mode, to hard to look at and the White Mode looks just clunky, though here and there some icons are a bit better.

20 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

The more I use VW2020 the less I like these new icons. Readability is very poor on many of them, and readability should be the number one important factor for any icon, above all else.

1844870680_ScreenShot2019-09-12at5_09_02PM.thumb.png.03091bcff83cd3b7a9842524e6413459.png  vs the new: 832218218_ScreenShot2019-09-12at5_09_11PM.thumb.png.cece811325c1b2c45a2f5d6a177ffd5c.png

Some are fine, such as the tools within the 3D Modeling toolset for example. But otherwise this concept of white linework with thin black outlines does NOT work on a light interface. Can't we just have simple solid lines / silhouettes? Clean, simple, readable, modern?

Wow - those new 2020 icons are really illegible. Definitely a step backwards in terms of UI.

1 hour ago, Andy Broomell said:

The more I use VW2020 the less I like these new icons. Readability is very poor on many of them, and readability should be the number one important factor for any icon, above all else.

1844870680_ScreenShot2019-09-12at5_09_02PM.thumb.png.03091bcff83cd3b7a9842524e6413459.png  vs the new: 832218218_ScreenShot2019-09-12at5_09_11PM.thumb.png.cece811325c1b2c45a2f5d6a177ffd5c.png

Some are fine, such as the tools within the 3D Modeling toolset for example. But otherwise this concept of white linework with thin black outlines does NOT work on a light interface. Can't we just have simple solid lines / silhouettes? Clean, simple, readable, modern?

@Andy Broomell—yes, exactly. Thanks Andy

9 minutes ago, SeanOSkea said:

@mjm I just hope this is just a foretelling of a new dark mode standard interface to be rolled out later in the year and not the answer to all our complaints that the UI hasn't been upgraded in a decade. 

@Sean O"Skea — yep, feeling the same. It is terrifically surprising the 'page' space option is still either or B/W

7 minutes ago, SeanOSkea said:

@mjm Well, we've always been able to set the page space to whatever color you want in the interactive appearance settings in the preferences. I mess with those all the time. I just noticed today YouTube has a dark setting. 

@Sean O"SkeaThanks for the reminder man, there's an area of VW I have not bothered with ventured into. Have you set your page color to other than default? If so, what do you use?

@mjm Its so easy to change, you don't even need to reload,  I change it all the time to suit my mood. If I'm doing a lot of work in Blender I'll switch it to a Blender/Maya warm grey in 3D, but then I'll get sick of that and want to brighten up to a pale blue or something. Whatever. I've never liked the off-white green color of the default. Once in a while I'll even mess with the orange highlight just for kicks and do a Maya teal or something. I like a light taupe for Top/plan as its really easy to keep track of fills or that shape that didn't quite get closed, but not so dark that you loose black lines.  But I always go back to default for tutorials because I don't want to confuse my students.  Just play with it. Just takes a second and if you don't like it just change back.

I also go in and change a bunch of the shortcuts R for rotate P for push pull F for flyover etc. So many of the single key shortcuts are give over to toggling snapping or other weird stuff that you never need to mess with but incredibly useful things like array (Ctrl+alt+Shift+D)?!? have these chords you have to play. I wish I could assign a hotkey to the interactive scale mode. I love turning that off to precisely snap corners. The #1 wish I've wanted for years is some kind of XYZ axis lock. We even have it in the 3D reshape mode. Why only there? And why is the 3D widget only in SubD mode?  In Blender when you are doing any kind of transform (move, scale, rotate etc) you just hit the letter (XYZ) to lock it to that plane or Shift letter exclude that plane. HUGELY helpful. Add it to the 2021 wishlist... 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, SeanOSkea said:

The #1 wish I've wanted for years is some kind of XYZ axis lock. We even have it in the 3D reshape mode. Why only there? And why is the 3D widget only in SubD mode?  In Blender when you are doing any kind of transform (move, scale, rotate etc) you just hit the letter (XYZ) to lock it to that plane or Shift letter exclude that plane. HUGELY helpful. Add it to the 2021 wishlist..

Here’s a link to previous wishlist item requesting an XYZ Axis Lock (aka 3D gumball), it could use some more up-votes.

• Like 1