Lights are showing black and not white when on

Carrie C.

Question

I really need to get to know this program better, however, how do I get my lights to shine white instead of black? I usually, have a black background and this has not been an issue in the past versions. Once the light is turned on and a focus point is set you can see what your set piece would look like with your lights focused. Now, all I see is black light which is not helpful and I thought maybe I can do a fast render to see what the lighting looks like but sadly that did not help either. I have changed the attributes colors to white which which you can see on one part of the set is "light" but the other is black from having the draw beam and draw beam 3D options on. How do I fully fix this?  

image.thumb.png.a18581f8a257654fb945a6c11b3b0413.png

image.thumb.png.4567b9b769f696b4f376839d4a6983f3.png

image.thumb.png.b3ed1f53c32e1a684e097d3364c5b3c3.png

7 answers to this question

Rob,

I apologize if I am or was confusing in my search for help, however, yes, I am using the VW light default symbols from the library and I am using the default lighting instrument texture. As you can see I now have lighting on the set, but the 3D solid beam feature still shows black when turned on. I'm using the Chauvet Slim Par and I was thinking I just need to adjust the pen and or fill attributes? I'm not sure if it helps explain the issue better or not...    

image.thumb.png.64451bf5bd3d2159e0fcf61441d16cb2.png

image.thumb.png.acba282b5d68409abc4b35ec483f3361.png

9 hours ago, klinzey said:

The fill color of the beam is set by the "Color" field of the lighting device. If the field is empty or contains an invalid value the beam is drawn in black. (I set the color to R26.)Untitled.png

@klinzey———is this new behavior? In past practice through 2019, if the fixture color field was empty, the color defaulted to the fixture's version of no color. 

Edited by mjm
clarity
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It's worked this way for at least several versions as far as I can remember. (I checked 2018 and it was the same.)

"Draw Beam" will give you the outline with no fill, "Draw Beam as 3D Solid" will give you the fill when rendered.

If you are just looking at in in wire frame both will appear to have no fill.