Offset tool limitations?

I seem to have forgotten how to do a controlled offset tracing style. I want to trace the vertices of a given series of lines, polys, etc as a guide and have off set from that guide a double line.

There used to be way to do this....?

Using the Custom Control Line mode while using the double line tool doesn't work. I can't put in an offset value greater than half the distance of the separation factor for the double line. What gives? Am I'm using the wrong tool or am I just too late in this very long week to think straight anymore?

Thanks for the reply!

Anthony - Are you looking for the offset by point mode?

It allows you to offset an object multiple times by clicking inside or outside of the object. Where the mouse is clicked, the offset duplicate is placed.

Maybe more information on what exactly you are trying to accomplish will help me better assist you.

Katie,

I appreciate the quick reply but that's not what I mean. I am are of that method however. Let me explain more clearly. I remember a way in this program in which you can define a polygon for example and draw it offset from any combination of vertices that you can select. So maybe in my example I'm clicking on a combinatin of lines, polys, etc and put together they constitute a "path" that my mouse is going to follow. Off of this path I want the polygon or double-line tool to offset to one side of the "path".

What I don't want is to have that varied set of lines and polys offset to one direction because I don't want that stuff duplicated again.

The long way around this is to create a polygon that represents the "offset space" and then follow the path of lines and polys, walls, etc to the point of stopping. Then use one side of that "spacer poly" as my guide for the stuff I originally wanted offset. Then go back and select and delete the spacer poly.

I don't know why I'm struggling to find what I'm looking for, but it probably has something to do with the fact that it's Friday and I'm tired.

Thanks again.