Walls - fitting to object

Josh S

Hi! 

I'm having a right mare trying to get my walls to fit to my roof faces. I'm not sure if it's my workflow or a plug-in style for either the roof face or wall.

image.thumb.png.bb95a0194e3b77f1ce1089f3879149c1.png

Here is the settings of another example:

image.thumb.png.1adf5d30360fb62e1d43a4c8cda64953.png

and when I click ok: 

image.thumb.png.b273645ffc341c355cfab45bd1010ad3.png

Any ideas? 

Cheers, 

Josh

Guest Wes Gardner

@Josh-gsy...if you can post the file (or a portion that has the issue(s)), I'm sure we can get you squared away....just by looking at the lower image, it looks as if you have a "leak" where the roof object doesn't quite cover the walls that are resulting in those spikes.

Wes

I'd concur with Wes. It's a great tool but it is hyper-sensitive. So if for example the roof does not protrude beyond the wall the tool doesn't understand what it is being asked to do and the operation will fail. Conversely if for example two roof faces do not meet up at the apex then it will do exactly what you've asked it to do and create a (n unnecessary)  column at the apex! 

The other thing I've noticed about the FWtO tool is that the walls "absorb and retain" any previous FWtO operational instructions and get very "confused" especially when this involves the scenarios you describe above and the subsequent operation fails. There have been occasions when I have had to either delete the wall peaks I have created (this is a command) or on occasion create a new wall. Hope this helps!   

Yes, likewise, I have to delete the wall peaks to reset it and get FWtO to work.

I've started changing how I create my upper floor walls also. Previously, I used stories and walls would go "top of slab" to top of slab over". for this I would create a "top of slab" level on the upper most story, or a false story. Now on my upper floors I tend to set walls as from "top of slab" and the upper to wall height. Then use FWtO to get the correct elevation for the roof height. This seems to make FWtO much more consistent.

I quite like how the stories work. Really handy when sketching out designs and fiddling with levels. That said, they probably are less beneficial for two storey development. I'm new to vectorworks (and architecture!) this year after working as an SE Tech using AutoCAD and Revit. I swear, if you could smash Revit and Vectorworks into each other hard enough, you would have some great software!

I'm having this same issue with walls doing nothing when I ACE> Fit Walls to Objects. I'm using a roof object, not roof faces, so I don't think there's any "leaks" in the geometry. Trying to get a section to look correct where there would be a scissor truss, and also cheat it, so I have accurate exterior elevations as well. To achieve the look, I create two roof layers, one roof with the exterior pitch, and the second layer with a roof with half the pitch to mimic what would be the bottom chord of the truss. I fit the walls on the main floor plan to the layer containing the roof with half pitch. I then create a layer for the gable end walls in hopes of generating this geometry automatically for the elevation and section views. Are there any other tips for making  this work, or is it just a buggy and unpredictable feature? I've had it work so pleasingly well, terribly, and not at all- with some success trouble shooting, except that sometimes one fix works here but not there. Does binding walls by layer height and elevation affect this command? I've tried copying the walls and roof to a new file, lowered the base elevation of the layer on which the walls are contained, removed wall peaks after each attempt, deleted and then created new walls using different types of walls, created new roofs, shortened the walls so they don't interfere with the roof edges- and all kinds of other things. Screen shot shows the walls selected to fit. Spending more time troubleshooting this than actually getting work done. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 4.39.54 PM.png

• 3 years later...

Fitting walls to a roof face can be problematic, for unknown reasons. 

Before you try again, make sure to delete wall peaks under the AEC command.

I will often make a 3d work layer and use the 3d Extract Tool (surface mode) to the bottom of the roof.  I usually  create a planar object.  Make sure it is stretched past the wall in question.  Then convert to a 3d polygon.

Reshape also works. 

Edited by cberg
  • Like 2