Ability to control where a window/door is offset from in a Wall

Christiaan

Question

The Plan Wall Offset setting in Window Style > General is currently based on the centre of window frame to centre of Wall. This is not a figure we're generally interested in practice.

As designers we're interested in where the outside or inside face of a window frame sits relative to the outside or inside face of a wall, or relative to the outside or inside face of a particular wall component, more often than not the Core component.

So instead of being a simple offset from centre of window frame to centre of wall we'd like the following offset options added to the OIP:

OFFSET FROM:

1. Outside face of window frame

2. Inside face of window frame

3. Centre of window frame

TO:

1. Outside face of Wall

2. Inside face of Wall

3. Centre of Wall

4. Core component of Wall [or, if possible, specific component of Wall]

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1

11 answers to this question

So this feature was added to VW2022 and has completely buggered a current project. The problem is that 1) "Plan Offsets" were useful with walls with staggered component heights (ie, stone base) and 2) the new feature doesn't work. "Insertion Relative to: Interior Face of Jamb" does nothing with regard to the plan location or 3D appearance. 

...back to VW 2021.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 hours ago, jason schneider said:

So this feature was added to VW2022 and has completely buggered a current project. The problem is that 1) "Plan Offsets" were useful with walls with staggered component heights (ie, stone base) and 2) the new feature doesn't work. "Insertion Relative to: Interior Face of Jamb" does nothing with regard to the plan location or 3D appearance. 

...back to VW 2021.

Can you post a simple file showing your issue?

• Like 1

Hey Matt, Thanks for the follow up! Find attached a quick mock-up in both versions ('21 + '22) demonstrating how I used "plan offset" to tweak the location of the window. I also sent these to tech support this morning.

And I should edit my original comment; the new feature indeed does change the location of the window based on the selection (interior, center, or exterior of jamb), but the window is still locked in the center of the full wall width, without regard for component height. 

Thanks!window relative to 2022.vwxwindow relative to 2021.vwx

Edited by jason schneider
additional info.
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
21 hours ago, jason schneider said:

Hey Matt, Thanks for the follow up! Find attached a quick mock-up in both versions ('21 + '22) demonstrating how I used "plan offset" to tweak the location of the window. I also sent these to tech support this morning.

And I should edit my original comment; the new feature indeed does change the location of the window based on the selection (interior, center, or exterior of jamb), but the window is still locked in the center of the full wall width, without regard for component height. 

Thanks!window relative to 2022.vwxwindow relative to 2021.vwx

Select the Window and enter an Insert Offset of -2 in the Object Info palette.

This new Offset parameter replaces the old Plan Wall Offset plug-in parameter  in the Door and Window.  In fact, if you open the VW 2021 file in VW 2022, you will see the Offset value for the Window is already -2 (keeping the window where you had it in 2021).  The reason this parameter was moved out of the Door and Window is because it's now part of a general system (along with the Insert popup above it).  This allows all insertable plug-ins and symbols to have this control instead of only plug-ins that implemented their own way to do it.

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 1.08.10 PM.png

Hi, I spotted this change on 2022 but it seems that for some of the windows & doors, the options for 'Insert' & 'Offset' are greyed out so can't be changed. The current option for insert is set to 'Core Compon...' but I can't seen any more text than that.

Is there a way to change this so the options aren't greyed out please?

As per earlier post in thread you need to right-click on the door/window symbol in the Resource Manager + select 'Plug-in Object Style Options...'. In the dialog that opens you can set the 'Offset' parameter to by instance rather than by style, then you'll be able to edit the offset on an object-by-object basis rather than have it predetermined by the style.