3d Tiling please!

Sander van Lanen

Question

15 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Jeremy Best said:

Hey @Marissa Farrell, this sounds like a need that Marionette could fulfil. - At least as an interim solution. I could see it being used to create patterns including two or more textures and creating profiles using objects that can supply data for costings. Got anything like this in your library or fancy developing one? 

There already exists a similar Marionette network for that.

Maybe that could be adjusted for 3D. Haven't tried that yet.

• Like 1

After seeing the above post by @elepp referencing the tiling tool by @ComputerWorks, our findings aligns with that of @Sander van Lanen

The above tools is:
- unstable 
- takes too long to generate, if it does at all (we waited over 10 hours for a simple brick bond patter over rectangle area, crashed after 10 hours)
- does not have 3D.

This original post by @saabinehills deserves some serious immediate attention from Vectorworks- I keep banging on about productivity and efficiency. Current workflow doesn’t give either.

We have 2-D hatches representing floor patterning in plan. But when it comes to rendering, we have to model the same floor over again.

And if we make adjustments to the floor patterning, we have to go back to change both the 2D hatch and 3D model. Its one of those moments you think to yourself, ‘how is this better than using AutoCAD plus Sketchup?’ 

We have resorted to using the ‘floor’ tool to generate our floor patterning for some rooms. Modelling each individual piece and giving the required gap between each. But in plan, this looks silly, as the two lines on either side of the gap produces a very thick line when printed. 

I’m sure the good engineers are Vectorworks are reading this, so, if you create this ‘3D tiling tool’, please make sure the double lines on either side of the 3 or 5mm gap can be combined into a single line in Plan and Elevation views. 

Another alternative to creating a new ‘3D tiling tool’ is if additional 3-D functionally is added to ‘hatches’, we can add a tab in ‘hatches’ dialogue box called ‘3D’. 
In it, your can:
- Specify which ‘hatch layer’ takes on a ‘gap’, and the ‘width and depth’ it will have.

- Eg. On the 3D tab it starts with: ‘The following layers will represent gaps in 3D:’. Then drop down menu where we choose ‘Layer 2’, ‘Gap width= XXmm’ ‘Gap depth = XXmm’

’Tiles’ should also get the same options

• Like 2

@Amorphous - Julian

Hi Julian,

thank you for your feedback. Being responsible for the Marionette tool "Tiles", I will take your suggestions into consideration going forward.

Please send me a message with all necessary information of your setup, so I can try and replicate the behavior you are experiencing. I did a quick test just now on my laptop using a square of 20 * 20 meters and the pattern "English Bond". It took about 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

I won't use a hatch in VW because it's so difficult to modify/create one.  I love tiles but they are just a 2d trick.  I would love a "flooring" or "wall tile" tool that you can easily create a pattern with, show up in 2d/3d, and be able to extract some kind of information from (sq footage, item count etc).  

2 hours ago, JesusDelmonte said:

Im surprised that at this point of life, I'm still unable to create a simple 60"x60" tile both in 2D and in 3D. This is seriously a step-back on the modeling process that Vectorworks should be leading in.

After reviewing the response from @Amorphous - Julian it sounds like his 2D Marionette solution works (because the issue reported earlier cannot be reproduced, it is likely caused by something else). As for a 3D solution: It’s been years since I worked with Marionette but I expect it would be relatively easy to convert the result it produces to a 3D object after the desired pattern has been generated.