Wall bounding

I'm really struggling with walls tying themselves to design levels and the associated wall heights when in some cases I don't want the wall to do this.... Is there a  way a wall can be 'unbound'? In the insertion options of the wall type it seems to have to be either layer elevation or layer wall height (for top bounding only), unless I go down the story route. And even then, the top bound seems to still be story height rather than 'top of footing'' as I have set it to. I have read the 'Model set up' tutorial and seen the 'walls and level types' webinar but still don't find it easy or intuitive...Any pointers to the particular issue or a good beginner guide would be appreciated..In the instance shown I am trying to get a strip foundation, drawn as a wall, to go from 600mm below the top of footing story level to the top of footing story level but it is just going to the top of the design layer wall height, making it 4200mm high, and it can't be overridden in the object info pallette..

ss1.thumb.JPG.8c8b99832e12782a6cee289c93615e9f.JPGss2.thumb.JPG.7802e53a8ef1a987aaf89869740a8723.JPGss3.thumb.JPG.3dd5ca2be29fe778835c23446ed97ea4.JPG

Hi Christiaan

I have worked out that although the wall insertion options were set to the story levels, the component was still on layer elevation/layer wall height, so in this instance I have sorted the problem.. however it does beg the question 'What settings take preference?' as there seems to be little point setting the wall insertion options if they are immediately overridden by the component. It would still be good to have an 'unbound' wall, where the height, top level and bottom level are just set from the OIP. I'm sure I have done this in the past but doesn't work with this file/wall types.... I'm sure it's user error but very frustrating

1172 Template.vwx

Glad you sorted it. The components need to take precedence over the overall wall setting or there wouldn't be any use in having separate wall component bindings.

You can effectively have an unbound wall by using Layer Elevation and then just manually offsetting in the OIP as required, but as you've noticed this means making sure your wall components are set to 'Relative to Wall' + 0 offset.

In the case of the file you posted, there's no reason to set the wall component of the footing wall to anything other than 'Relative to Wall' and 0 offset. You can just use the main OIP settings to control this wall.

1172 Template.vwx

Edited by Christiaan

I think it is ok.

You can create Offsets for each Component in Wall Styles.

You can overwrite stylized Walls by Offsets via OIP.

You even have the check box to only refresh heights of

non-edited Walls but keep edited Walls as they are, when

you did changes in a Wall Style.

The 3rd feature is pretty new (since VW 2018?) and finally makes

sense for working with standard bounded Walls while managing

special cases.

As you no more need Wall Style Duplicates of the same Wall, just

for small height variations.