Your system has run out of application memory

mjm

Question

I've got this "memory leak" problem too.

I'm on a 2017 iMac with 8GB ram, 8GB graphics, and Mojave.

Working in Design Layers is OK, but annotating in or drawings on Sheet Layers, I get badly stuck.

Simple, frequent things are much too slow - particularly moving or editing text, and updating viewports.

These are things I have to do a lot of, so the wait times really add up.

I can no longer reliably estimate how long it will take me to get a drawing ready for presentation.

It seems to be worse if anything after the Service Pack 2.1

I also find that having VW open for hours slows things down.

In general, I'd much rather VW new releases came out less often (every two years?) and were more thoroughly tested and stable.

I'd like fewer, better designed new features.

And the dysfunctional bits of "old" features to be fixed.

I also find it really annoying when my "old" files (last year's, for example) have a whole lot of things that need fixing when I open them in a new release.

I don't want the appearance of my drawings changing without my permission.

I don't want to have to go hunting for the new button to click deep in the settings for every single window in a file to get my sill lines to reappear.

Are we supposed to redraw every file from scratch to optimise it for every new release? Seriously!

I'm losing too much time working on software workarounds instead of getting actual architecture done.

It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of jumping ship to something more reliable - is ArchiCAD?

Or is a real fix coming soon?

• Like 1

It's not just the memory leak problem, which you are quite correct is still here.  It is the host of other issues which Vectorworks has basically ignored the users over the years with the continual 'bodges' and 'workarounds' for functions that are basic necessities in architectural design.

Items like doors, windows, stairs, handrails, walls, roofs, floor slabs, schedules, elevations and sections should simply just work.  I am sick and tired of being told that when a part of vectorworks does not do the job properly that there isn't a bug, it is working as designed.  What this means to me is that when there is a feature, it should work properly for real world situations and not just in a lab.  Yes, all the new features are great, but we need a tool that works properly, that means continually reviewing the legacy items and fixing the problems that have been documented many times over the years.

Typical examples of where the system is just wrong:

• If you have a door in an external wall with a side screen and have the external wall components activated haver a look at what happens when you try and elevate it or look at it in 3D - doesn't work never has done
  • Setting out of components - Who in their right minds sets out from the centre of an object - you choose a point for setting out and anchor it.  Doors and windows - come on guys, If you want to put a door in a wall, you choose the position of the door to suit your construction - outside face of wall / inside face of outer leaf etc. - you NEVER EVER set to 'centre of wall' Ths means you require to 'offset' the position - this is trial and error based on thickness of the wall and where you want the item placed. God forbid you change a component in the wall that changes the overall thickness and as a result every single component which you have painstakingly placed correctly will require to be reset.  If you use styled components and update that way, it wipes all the other data from the components (like scheduling), so don't try.

Our drawings do not just contain presentation information, we are now meant to be able to interrogate a model and extract quality data from it.  Continually having to do 'workarounds' means that we are always having to 'cheat' to get the data out - not very forward thinking is it.

I have also considered ArchiCAD - it is a very good piece of kit, but the physical cost to change my practice over, means it is prohibitive - Vectorworks knows this. There will come a point however, if VW doesn't provide me with a competent piece of software, I will have to bite the bullet and just change to another (might even change to REVIT).

Sorry for rant - but getting frustrated again with VW. Just downloaded 2020 SP2.2 and had to uninstall and reinstall the entire program and the upgrade install failed yet again.

• Like 2

I am at a point where we could not rely on VW2020 anymore and have downgraded all files back to VW2019 and using that instead as that is at the least, is stable on macOS Catalina. It really is a joke to some degree when you pay a lot of money for annual subscriptions and you can't actually make the use of the facility as it will hang or have this memory leak problem. 

So disappointed. 

• Like 1

I have been on VW2019 (with the latest updates) and it is working fine on Catalina. Not a single issue - which is a blessing none the less. Had that not worked for us, I would have had to bite the bullet and go with Archicad as I know it works fine and has no issues. Only couple of major things have stopped us from doing that - already invested time and money for the system and for our projects and the actual cost of Archicad compared to VW.... 

However, don't get me wrong - VW has fair few advantages also and hence we are trying to work this out! Heres to hope that they will issue a fix shortly for all so that we can enjoy 2020! 

• Like 1

in my opinion they are pretty much similar but I would say VW has easier or more various options when it comes to 2D artistic expressions/presentations and ease of doing line drawings if thats show one would woks... 

but when it comes to BIM integration, you can't really beat Archicad... and personally, I have used Archicad and VW equally over the past 15 years or so (but with VW of recent times) and would have wanted to go down the path of Archicad but was down to cost of owning and running your own studio with teams! they do add up at the end! 

• Like 2

Digging out this topic...

Any news about that?

I have the same problem, running VW 2020 on MacOS 10.12, the amount of used memory keeps growing and growing until it crashes.

Hey VW!!! How can this problem not be THE priority to solve? It seems that since two years, nothing has been done. Are you trying to convince us to change to Revit or ArchiCAD?

Edited by A2M
  • Administrator

@A2M 

It seems like this is an old issue. The particular iMac had some problems running out of memory, not only with when running Vectorworks. I will suggest you the following:

- Make sure you have installed the latest Vectorworks 2020 Service Pack.
- I noticed this issue was common with Mac OS Sierra and High Sierra. Check to see if upgrading to the latest Mac OS maybe Mojave might take care of the problem.
- If, after all the above, you are still experiencing the issue. Feel free to contact us at tech@vectorworks.net

Not sure that it is such an old issue. I know at least another person who has the same problem...

Are you saying that it is a problem of the 2017 imac?

Anyway, I only have this problem with VW, no other soft makes this issue.

I have the SP5 version, obviously I cannot upgrade it using the VW updater.

I will upgrade my OS next week

I don't believe that the problem is with anything other than VW.  It is the only program on my Mac which gobbles up this amount of memory.

I am using the current service pack of VW 2021 and the current version of MacOS (Big Sur 11.2.2) - and the problem still exists.  It has been going on for years and all VW has ever had to say is that it is the user fault and that we should try and upgrade to the most recent versions.

Well we have - and the issue is still there.  This is from this morning.

2146441083_Screenshot2021-03-01at11_07_06.thumb.png.d2c39816d7533654d9f58651a9c177f3.png

• Like 1

I've ask another friend. The same for him... VW2019 on Catalina...

So obviously, it's an old and recurrent error in the management of the memory. Having been programming in a previous life, I'm really stunned that VW is not taking this problem as the PRIORITY number 1. Memory management is just the basics of coding... Crazy... Like having a car with no brakes...

The question is: who has not this error?????? Please, tell us, what version, what OS, what Mac? Is it the same on Windows?

On 2/16/2021 at 2:42 PM, JuanP said:

@A2M 

It seems like this is an old issue. The particular iMac had some problems running out of memory, not only with when running Vectorworks. I will suggest you the following:

- Make sure you have installed the latest Vectorworks 2020 Service Pack.
- I noticed this issue was common with Mac OS Sierra and High Sierra. Check to see if upgrading to the latest Mac OS maybe Mojave might take care of the problem.
- If, after all the above, you are still experiencing the issue. Feel free to contact us at tech@vectorworks.net

This not an old issue. It is common through all versions of VW.
Currently 2021 SP5 on brand new iMac using OSX Monterey 12.2.1.

Processor: 3.8GHz 8-core

10th-generation Intel Core

i7 processor, Turbo Boost

up to 5.0GHz

* MEMORY: 64GB 2666 MHz

DDR4

* Storage: 512GB SSD

storage

* Graphics: Radeon Pro 5500

XT with 8GB of GDDR6

memory

We have 30+ licences and experience this issue regularly enough. One of the reasons why we moved on ARCHICAD for BIM projects. 
It continues to happen and is never resolved. If you are wondering why revenue is decreasing, then this is one of the reasons. 

Memory leak is still a real problem in Dec 28 2023

Here is a test for VW team:

Blank start, newly installed Designer VW 2024

Batch Convert - Convert in Place

e.g. message shows conversion of Files 350 of 3736

Memory RAM usage by VW2024 - 

from the 1-st file conversion RAM started at 2GB

on 350 file usage slowly increased to 14GB (Real 22GB, Virtual 429GB)

in the end for 3153 file VW hangs with 192GB real RAM memory on my new silicon machine with RAM 192GB with 4TB Internal hard SSD Disk

Please advise!

Edited by ashot
  • Like 1