bending an object with an applied decal

just been testing a few things I use a lot of curved fascias as I am an exhibition designer and always have a problem applying a decal, to the right position when i use the attribute mapping tool it can distort the decal image....so I have applied the decal to a flat wall and then used the distort to tool to curve the wall and it seems to work fine......it keeps the decal at the same size as when applied..... I have tried it on other deform tools but only seems to work with the bend solid mode.......hope it would work on the deform shapes but it doesn't seem to deform the decal to the deformed shape......this is not a criticism just my findings ......maybe this should have been in the rendering section of the forum

test.vwx

Edited by Phil hunt

Behaves as expected on your file

1.thumb.JPG.c85fe242bbb8d58b8b6a2c93ca986ce0.JPG

Here is a tapered solid and it works ok as well.

1615735346_tapersolid.thumb.JPG.95e35c768f6f740ecc375b1580cc9295.JPG

I am probably missing something here so which deform are you having issues with and how?

I applied the decals after the deform

<Edit> ah I think you want the decal to deform?

Edited by barkest

i was hoping the decal would follow the shape of the deform of the pyramid i was hoping the decal would follow the shape of the taper but that may be asking too much.....

maybe it just won't as its a piece of artwork.......but the curve will certainly be good to have..... wonder if there could be some distort handles that you could apply to the decal whilst on the shape as you can do in photoshop?

Edited by Phil hunt
29 minutes ago, Phil hunt said:

wonder if there could be some distort handles that you could apply to the decal whilst on the shape as you can do in photoshop?

Unfortunately not. You could distort in Ps then add the decal. Not great but a workaround

I had the idea to create a plane with an extrude of 0 and apply a transparent texture and then deform the plane to match the already deformed object but that was unsuccessful. Cylinder projection has a few more options but nothing I could work with sorry

Edited by barkest
On 8/25/2019 at 5:43 AM, Lee Keenan said:

I'm using a laser cutter a lot now for making scale theatre scenic design models. I do all my drafting in Vecotworks and have to jump through some 3rd party hoops to convert to svg. A direct svg export that supports basic colors  (red = cutting, black = raster etching and blue = vector etching)  would be AN AMAZING  new feature for me. I saw this discussed in General and that someone at VW was researching it, but I wanted to signal boost that request.

18 hours ago, Phil hunt said:

just been testing a few things I use a lot of curved fascias as I am an exhibition designer and always have a problem applying a decal, to the right position when i use the attribute mapping tool it can distort the decal image....so I have applied the decal to a flat wall and then used the distort to tool to curve the wall and it seems to work fine......it keeps the decal at the same size as when applied..... I have tried it on other deform tools but only seems to work with the bend solid mode.......hope it would work on the deform shapes but it doesn't seem to deform the decal to the deformed shape......this is not a criticism just my findings ......maybe this should have been in the rendering section of the forum

test.vwx

Texture mapping can be very frustrating in most programs not having proper UV mapping features, and VW is no exception. UV mapping can be quite complex in many programs, but it gives a way better control over things. Nowadays, I always do this externally for more complex shapes. 

1 hour ago, Claes Lundstrom said:

Texture mapping can be very frustrating in most programs not having proper UV mapping features, and VW is no exception. UV mapping can be quite complex in many programs, but it gives a way better control over things. Nowadays, I always do this externally for more complex shapes.

Seems to be a theme at the moment