How to Rollback to VW 2019 SP3

ghunter

Question

Hi, I need to rollback to VW 2019 SP3 as there is an identified bug in Braceworks SP4 so I must rollback.  I can't see on the ServiceSelect site how to download previous releases within 2019, only the current release plus prior years' releases.  Is there a link to download SP3 so I can uninstall SP4 and reinstall?

Thanks

16 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, ghunter said:

Hi, I need to rollback to VW 2019 SP3 as there is an identified bug in Braceworks SP4 so I must rollback.  I can't see on the ServiceSelect site how to download previous releases within 2019, only the current release plus prior years' releases.  Is there a link to download SP3 so I can uninstall SP4 and reinstall?

Thanks

Have you checked to see if the Braceworks bug was fixed in SP5 which was just released this week? You may be able to upgrade to SP5 rather than downgrading.

Kevin

On 8/29/2019 at 3:25 AM, Adam Robinson said:

Hi @ghunter,

You can downgrade your service pack by going to the Vectorworks 2019 Updater program (Applications/Vectorworks 2019/Vectorworks 2019 Updater) > click Advanced Options > hold Alt/Option and click Change Version > select your desired service pack > OK.

Wow. Love this. It must be a new feature from the new installer system?

If you have VSS something else you could do as is to wait for a few days after a Service Pack comes out and then download the VW install program from your VSS portal, it will contain the then latest SP. If you do this every time a new SP comes out and keep all the installers (e.g. store them in separate folders labelled with the SP number) you will then have an option to revert to any previous SP in case something breaks in the latest SP that is essential for your work.

This would even allow you to get an SP but not install it until a project is finished and then install it at your own leisure, one by one if if you want in case two SP's have come out in a relatively short time.

Edit: just tried the VW updater method mentioned above and noticed it also allows you to download the individual SP updaters as well so that you don't have to download everything again when updating on your second computer. It would be really nice if this feature would be mentioned in the help because now it is not mentioned in the updates information section, only the standard options.

Edited by Art V
On 8/29/2019 at 12:25 PM, Adam Robinson said:

Hi @ghunter,

You can downgrade your service pack by going to the Vectorworks 2019 Updater program (Applications/Vectorworks 2019/Vectorworks 2019 Updater) > click Advanced Options > hold Alt/Option and click Change Version > select your desired service pack > OK.

It even allows for downloading the SP updater for offline updating. I've been wondering for a while where to get the offline updaters that you could download directly from the website in the past, at least now I know.

Would it be possible to mention this in the VW help? If it is already mentioned somewhere it is not easy to find as even the search for offline update does revert back to the few standard options within the advanced menu but does not mention how to get the files for an offline update.

1 minute ago, Art V said:

It even allows for downloading the SP updater for offline updating. I've been wondering for a while where to get the offline updaters that you could download directly from the website in the past, at least now I know.

Would it be possible to mention this in the VW help? If it is already mentioned somewhere it is not easy to find as even the search for offline update does revert back to the few standard options within the advanced menu but does not mention how to get the files for an offline update.

I am not sure that the offline updaters are to be publicly available. However they constitute a fallback level for support.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Art V,

There should be an option within the advanced options called download update (when holding Alt).  You can then use the downloaded file to do the offline update.

If for whatever reason, the download update option isn't listed, you can use the attached documents to use the Mac terminal or the Windows command prompt to download the update files.  You can either download a general update or a targeted update to get the desired result.

Offline update [Mac].zip Offline update [Windows].zip

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Nicolas Goutte said:

I am not sure that the offline updaters are to be publicly available. However they constitute a fallback level for support.

The offline SP updaters have been available for download for years, only since VW2019 or VW2020 they are no longer on the VW website as downloadable updaters.

Thanks to the original question I've now found out it is still possible to get those offline updaters but it is not mentioned in the help file and if it is then it is very well hidden.

There are people who are on slow internet connection or who have a metered connection with a data cap, for them it is a nuisance if you have to download everything twice through the updater program and it would be quite useful for them if they could download the SP updater once and then copy it to their other computer to install the update there.

Or to have a backup for reinstall if needed without first having to download the SP all over again, etc. It basically falls in the same category of having to use a downloader program to install the actual program and be left without a proper install file in the worst case (some do keep the install file(s) on your computer for backup, but there are downloader programs who delete such files after completion of the install and then if you are allowed to install on two computers you have to start all over again on the 2nd computer. Which imho is not really user friendly.)

2 hours ago, Adam Robinson said:

@Art V,

There should be an option within the advanced options called download update (when holding Alt).  You can then use the downloaded file to do the offline update.

If for whatever reason, the download update option isn't listed, you can use the attached documents to use the Mac terminal or the Windows command prompt to download the update files.  You can either download a general update or a targeted update to get the desired result. 

Offline update [Mac].zip 18.74 kB · 0 downloads Offline update [Windows].zip 64.55 kB · 0 downloads

Hi Adam,

I do get the SP reversal option and the download options when pressing the alt key in the advanced options.

The help topic on updating VW does not mention use of the alt key at all in the help file:

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2020/eng/index.htm#t=VW2020_Guide%2FStart%2FUpdating_Vectorworks_products.htm%23TOC_Vectorworks_Updatebc-1&rhsearch=update&rhsyns= &rhtocid=_1_0_0_2_0

If it hadn't been for this topic I might never have found out this option with the alt/option key exists.

My point was merely that it is not well documented if not probably not documented at all in the help file that this is possible while it could be quite useful for many people to know about this.

14 hours ago, Art V said:

Hi Adam,

I do get the SP reversal option and the download options when pressing the alt key in the advanced options.

The help topic on updating VW does not mention use of the alt key at all in the help file:

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2020/eng/index.htm#t=VW2020_Guide%2FStart%2FUpdating_Vectorworks_products.htm%23TOC_Vectorworks_Updatebc-1&rhsearch=update&rhsyns= &rhtocid=_1_0_0_2_0

If it hadn't been for this topic I might never have found out this option with the alt/option key exists.

My point was merely that it is not well documented if not probably not documented at all in the help file that this is possible while it could be quite useful for many people to know about this.

Well, I suppose that if it was documented in the help, then the menu entry would not need to be hidden.

So somebody somewhere seems to have made a decision that a normal user should (or is only able to) use the online update. For power users, admins, support and similar there is the hidden menu entries, like going back to older version or handling an off-line installer. And for those users there is even a command line. (No, that too is not officially documented.)

Edited by Nicolas Goutte