Matt Hall

push pull tool it doesn't subtract

Question

when i use the push pull tool it doesn't subtract. I hold the alt/option key.  it has work a few time but can get it even time.  what am i missing

4 answers to this question

I believe what you are asking is to subtract a shape from another? If that is so, when using the Push/Pull use the third mode of the tool. This will allow you to select the item to subtract, then second click is to the item to subtract from then third click is to select the item to subtract and pull or push the item to a defined length.

I've always had trouble with this. The trick is when you press the Alt/option. Draw the new 2D shape on the surface in Auto-mode. Left click and pull the shape into the depth you want. Then, while still holding the left-click tap the Alt/opt key. Then release LMB.  If you hold down alt at any other point or hold it down as or before you Left click or keep holding after you release Left it won't work.  I think in my head: "Extrude, Subtract, Release" and hit the Alt button on "subtract." 

Good luck 

• Like 1

Thanks,

It works for me sometimes but not always.  I'm sure once you get the feel it,  its second nature.

If I stuck with piano lessons as a child, maybe my brain and fingers would be able to talk to each other and master this move.

@Matt Hall You know, I just remembered something else that is probably the problem. This only works if you do it immediately after you draw a shape in auto mode. You can't draw a shape and then do something else and then select the Push/Pull and do the alt/subtract action. I don't know why but it only works right as you create the shape.