Amorphous - Julian

'⌘-Period' to stop a process (or 'ctrl-period' for Windows)

Question

Often, we click the wrong button in VW (eg final quality renderworks while in model view). 
VW then launches into a 20-minute period of deep thinking, during which you can't do much and can't stop the process. 

Would be great to have shortcut like ⌘-period to stop any processes. 

• Like 4

5 answers to this question

Or other CANCEL option - key command/shortcut, or a Kill button on the menu bar, or a context menu item, or . . . 

-B

• Like 3

my understanding is that stopping a process requires VW to run multithread for all modules.  Right now the geometry/modeling functions are single thread functions, which is why the program often pinwheels. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cberg said:

my understanding is that stopping a process requires VW to run multithread for all modules.  Right now the geometry/modeling functions are single thread functions, which is why the program often pinwheels. 

^ I believe this is true...

KM

Links to two related wish-list threads:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@rDesign thanks for linking those posts in.
I did do a quick search before I posted, but guess I didn't use the search terms 'abort' and 'operation'.
Since this request is now three-years-old (I note @Tom Klaber posted in 2017), I think it's about time it gets implemented.

As to the technical side of multi-threading and the like, I'm sure the engineers at Vectorworks can sort it out. 

Aborting, force quitting, relaunching and reopening is a royal waste of time. 

Edited by Amorphous - Julian
  • Like 1