setting out co-ordinates schedule strategy

hello all. 

I am am trying to get beyond the basics of vectorworks to use it a bit more intelligently. Essentially we typically are building sites of 20-50 houses with several house types. We are regularly required to provide co-ordinates of service connection points to ground workers so they can set out the site before work begins. 

We use different symbols for each house type, with the service pop ups (internet, electricity, water, rainwater pipes etc) as circles within the symbol. To provide co-ordinates we have been doing the rather painful process of naming each connection manually with a text reference, clicking on each circle and copying and pasting its easting and northings onto a separate note pad file, and then pasting again onto the sheet later with a reference to the connection on a plan. As you can imagine this takes a lot of time and there is a lot of room for error. 

I have been experimenting with the stake tool, but it is quite laborious on its own, and i still have to enter the reference name by hand as I cant seem to get it to autonumber each time I insert another point. 

What i'd like to do is essentially somehow reference each connection point in a symbol as

Plot 1 - electricity
Plot 1 - water
Plot 1 - internet 

etc

And then re-paste the house symbol and it automatically renames the connection points in that second house as 

Plot 2 - electricity
Plot 2 -  water
Plot 2 - internet 

etc

Then create a report which would give me the reference of each connection with a co-ordinates. It doesn't seem particularly outlandish requirement but it has me absolutely stumped and after a morning of trying it is taking longer than my old fashioned copy paste method. I would image this in a function that people require a lot so surely its doable?

Is there an easy way to do it? 

look forward to your responses as always

regards

Im sure it has the capability to do what I require. 

8 minutes ago, rexwexford said:

Even a symbol with several text references that updated

Interesting.. in the spotlight and designer versions I've used the hoist tool to bodge the same effect. You set an origin point for it, and then you get x and y co-ordinates dynamically updated on the symbol.

I've only done it once or twice, and it worked at the time. I'd love to hear if there's an architect version of a similar tool

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@rexwexford I think I have a workflow for you. Let me work it up this weekend and post in a couple of days. I am just reading this now (its getting late) and I am gone for a couple of days. This however should be very do-able!! 🙂

• Like 1
18 hours ago, RussU said:

Interesting.. in the spotlight and designer versions I've used the hoist tool to bodge the same effect. You set an origin point for it, and then you get x and y co-ordinates dynamically updated on the symbol.

I've only done it once or twice, and it worked at the time. I'd love to hear if there's an architect version of a similar tool

hmm yeah - Id have thought annotating plans with labels that have different references would be a fairly staple requirement