Brick texture - non repeating

domer1322

I've never figured out how to make a normal brick texture.  The ones included with VW libraries are based on images that repeat.  I want one that shows normal red-brown brick with slight color variations between bricks that don't repeat.   Does anyone know what shader settings to use to make a non-repeating brick texture that looks real (or at least close to real) ?    I've tried and tried, but I'm beginning to think it is not possible.

I'm only a part-time user, but I recall 10 years ago VW could make a non-repeating brick texture, but when they changed the rendering engine several years ago it seems that it isn't possible anymore.

• 3 months later...

Usually for something realistic you would take a seamless image file (A real image of a brick wall that has been modified to be able to tile without seams). You can put it through something like this to generate normal maps and specular maps. http://boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/

Generally all textures like this will have a repeating pattern that can be picked out, but you can remove this effect by using a high pass filter in Photoshop or tiling it large enough that it isn't noticeable.

53 minutes ago, Tanner Shelton said:

Generally all textures like this will have a repeating pattern that can be picked out, but you can remove this effect by using a high pass filter in Photoshop or tiling it large enough that it isn't noticeable.

And that is the problem.

The more you extract special details that will show tiling the more boring

and artificial the Material will look like. To a point where you could use a

simple procedural brick shader.

What you would do instead in a 3D Appis using an even tiled looking detailed

Brick Texture and additional layer a noise texture on top that control things like

diffuse brightness or even to mix different textures.

As you don't have all these options in VW, I think a good workaround for VW would

be either searching for large scale high res image textures, say 20x20 meters in size

instead of only 2x2 or 4x4 meters, so that you won't notice tiling as you will hardly see

2 tiles at a single Wall but still have unique details that bring some real world disorder.

Or to try to create suche a large scale Texture in your image editing software of choice

yourself from small scale high detailed Textures available by doing the layerings stuff

there.

• Like 1

What I did recently that worked well at least for Vectorworks, was to create a tileable texture, then I tiled it in Photoshop then added another larger texture on top of that, which slightly modified the diffuse in various places. This helped break up the feel of it tiling and added some larger scale variance. What you would realistically do in another 3d app as well would be to create variations of one texture then texture paint the variations around and hide seams with props. But that isn't possible in Vectorworks.

• Like 1

Exactly.

Take your tips with Materialize etc.,

create all textures and build a larger texture in image editing App by

adding more tiles and bring in some more disorder by manipulating

all texture channels.

It is the same as creating complex layered node based materials in

Blender but will just work in Vectorworks.

Will only increase your VW File size and your RAM needs for RW Rendering.

(I am a fan of completely procedural generated complex textures though,

like in Substance, although, honestly I never tried)

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 2