Why won't trim tool work

Bunbun

Question

5 answers to this question

Are the contours and elliptical shapes at the same level? For trimming they need to be at the same level to intersect.

Are they on the same layer or on different layers? If the latter, did you check if View>Layer options>Show/snap/modify others is active or not?

You may want to do the same for classes as well , just in case.

Another possibility is that one of the things you want to trim is in a group (e.g. because you accidentally grouped them) or a symbol.

Reviving an old thread.  Why can't the trim tool work as expected?  I do lots of CAD files that involve channels with widened areas for mounting clips.  I create the first wall of a channel with arcs, straight lines or whatever tool is necessary.  I use the offset tool to create the opposing wall of the channel.  I again use the offset tool again to create a concentric set of geometry for both walls of the channel that will define the extents of the clip mounting location.  I use the double line polygon tool in the "create lines" mode to determine the end of the clip mounting locations.  Then it is a simple matter to use the trim tool to leave the proper clip mounting location; except it SELDOM works correctly.  Here is the first step prior to trimming: 

841022990_trimstep1.thumb.png.2cefcc905c3af3d0ffe3d97ab60e4fbb.png

After I have used the trim tool:  

1883979097_trimstep2.thumb.png.3f421476de953754a0ed2222558c2652.png

Notice one of the four clip locations (top right) actually worked correctly.  One clip is missing one line, one is missing three and one is missing four.  Here is what it looks like after I fix it by manually drawing lines:  

10123462_trimstep3.thumb.png.dc61d9cd38c481084b83b8133ef68e0b.png

I have sorted out the order of operations to make the fix simple, but when there are hundreds of these clips to draw on any project, this becomes VERY tedious.  By the way, this project is very curvilinear in nature, but the same is true when it is simple arcs, circles and, to a lesser extent, straight lines.  

@scottmoore that’s problem geometry for VWX sometimes.

work arounds…

Use Polygon in the paint bucket mode instead of trim.  Hold shift while you click, probably same level of effort as trimming.

or

Draw a single polyline for the centerline, use a line type to get the double line width.  For the channel/clip graphic, use a symbol with a solid fill matching background color.  If this works for you it should be significantly faster than what you are doing now.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jeff prince said:

@scottmoore that’s problem geometry for VWX sometimes.

work arounds…

Use Polygon in the paint bucket mode instead of trim.  Hold shift while you click, probably same level of effort as trimming.

or

Draw a single polyline for the centerline, use a line type to get the double line width.  For the channel/clip graphic, use a symbol with a solid fill matching background color.  If this works for you it should be significantly faster than what you are doing now.

@jeff prince I don’t know that a line type will translate to CNC output. Typically line types are not recognized. 

As to symbols for the clips, that is a great idea, however, that is how I initially started doing these kinds of projects some time ago and it turned out to be far more cumbersome than the trimming. 

Curvilinear forms are always problematic. Ellipses even more so. I have a couple of hours left on this project and one more to complete in the next week. I’ll get through it, but what should be a fairly simple process just becomes a little annoying.