Guide line tool

KIT KOLLMEYER

Question

It would be great if Vectorworks had a guide line (or construction line) tool. Something similar to the guide lines built into the SketchUp tape measure tool. Ideally it would create an xline (like in AutoCAD) that is automatically dashed and by default doesn't show in viewports. Hopefully it would be an infinite length line like in AutoCAD. SketchUp has a nifty feature that deletes all guidelines, so when you are finished constructing your detail you can delete the construction lines.

It's surprising that there isn't a tool like this already, it seems like all other drafting software I've used does.

In Vectorworks I end up drawing individual lines to construct drawings, then manually deleting them afterward (or forgetting and realizing later when looking through viewports!).

• Like 3
  • Love 1

10 answers to this question

Have you tried Modify > Make Guides?

It has some of the functionality you're after.

Just draw your lines in (or any object), then: Modify > Make Guides, and it makes them a purple dashed colour and puts them on their own Class: Guides. Then you can just make sure that Class is always off in your viewports.

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2019/eng/VW2019_Guide/Basic1/Guides.htm

1251607040_Screenshot2019-08-20at22_41_02.thumb.png.555c9f37671bcae59525f6afbfb5833f.png

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 3

Despite the perfectly valid work around suggestions, I fully endorse the addition of a TRUE construction line tool. I used this all the time in AutoCAD, and greatly mourned it's absence when I switched to VW  (6 years ago). Just study what ACAD has and copy this feature please! It's a lot better than the multistep class based guide system that VW supports. We need to be moving away from time spent managing classes in any way possible.

Matt

p.s.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:19 PM, markdd said:

You could draw a line using the 3rd

What's 3rd mode???

• Like 2
On 8/27/2019 at 2:58 AM, mgries said:

Despite the perfectly valid work around suggestions, I fully endorse the addition of a TRUE construction line tool. I used this all the time in AutoCAD, and greatly mourned it's absence when I switched to VW  (6 years ago). Just study what ACAD has and copy this feature please! It's a lot better than the multistep class based guide system that VW supports. We need to be moving away from time spent managing classes in any way possible.

Matt

p.s.

What's 3rd mode???

Yes, a true building grid set-up as part of the BIM of the file not drawn objects would be much appreciated. 

• Like 2
On 8/26/2019 at 5:58 PM, mgries said:

Matt

p.s.

What's 3rd mode???

I'm a bit late but I completely agree with this.
Especially since the german version of vectorworks has had this tool since forever...

Revit has guide line functionallity - whereby it automagically sprays relevant guidelines out from a hovered-over point.

How about augmenting the existing Smart Point Extension Lines - so that when they appear we have an option to CMD+Click (or other key-click combo) to 'Set Smart Point/Edge Extension Line as Guide Line'

Such Guidelines would be new Magnetic Object type which would be classable but never print.

Edited by bcd