Camera Match and Renderworks Camera Effects?

James H.

Hi all,

Does any one know how to add Renderworks Camera Effects to a Viewport created via the Camera Match Tool?

I'm working on some Pre-Viz for a client and using Camera Match... The photo I'm using for the camera match background has a little bit of bloom already and I'd like to be able to use the Renderworks Camera Effects - 'Bloom' feature to add a matching level of bloom to the elements from my 3D model that I'm showing in the Camera Match Viewport ( 3D model is basically just a central projection screen created using the Video Screen Tool)... As it is, the screen looks too crisp in the Viewport to blend in naturally with the rest of the photo.

853892136_CameraMatchViewport.thumb.jpg.65ff439a83e809b43427cdf0539dc6d9.jpg

I've tried editing the Viewport and selecting 'Edit Camera' but no RW Camera shows up in the OIP... My next step was to place a RW Camera and select 'Match Current View' and then 'Return to Viewport' so the Viewport would have a RW camera associated with it that matched the view generated by the 'Camera Match Object' but this appears to compleatly relocate the model relitave to the Viewport and nothing shows up at all...

@Matt Panzer Any thoughts on how to create (or extract? or duplicate maybe?) a Renderworks Camera that would match the perspective settings created by the Camera Match Tool?

Also, @Matt Panzer many, many thanks for creating the awesome Camera Match tool!!!!! It's a huge time saver for quickly showing clients design options in various spaces.

Edited by James H.
spelling correction
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
17 hours ago, James H. said:

I've tried editing the Viewport and selecting 'Edit Camera' but no RW Camera shows up in the OIP... My next step was to place a RW Camera and select 'Match Current View' and then 'Return to Viewport' so the Viewport would have a RW camera associated with it that matched the view generated by the 'Camera Match Object' but this appears to compleatly relocate the model relitave to the Viewport and nothing shows up at all...

@Matt Panzer Any thoughts on how to create (or extract? or duplicate maybe?) a Renderworks Camera that would match the perspective settings created by the Camera Match Tool?

Hi James,

I just did some experimenting and found a way to do it. I repeated your steps to Edit Camera from the viewport, place RW Camera and Match Current View. From there, set the Camera Effects how you want them and exit back to the sheet layer. At the point you have everything you want except the view of the model is shifted. Now edit the viewport, select the Camera Match object, and click on the Fine Tune View button. When the Fine Tune View dialog appears, you should see your view pop back into place. Click OK and that view will be restored.

I certainly think Camera Match could be improved to have it automatically create a RW Camera for the viewport and keep it in sync with the Camera Match view.

17 hours ago, James H. said:

Also, @Matt Panzer many, many thanks for creating the awesome Camera Match tool!!!!! It's a huge time saver for quickly showing clients design options in various spaces.

You're very welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Tip: The view in the photo you attached looks like it was a tricky one to match. Taking the photo slightly off to one side (to be less like a one point perspective) would make matching the view easier.

• Like 4

@Matt Panzer You're the BEST!!! Thanks for taking a look (and taking a look so quickly too).

Yes, the head on view was tricky to match but, working remotely with only Google images to choose from, my selection for this particular venue was limited. The video tutorial on "Matching Difficult Views" was very helpful for dialing it in.

Followed your recommended steps above and successfully was able to add a RW Camera with 16% Bloom. I think the screen blends much better into the photo now!93977510_CameraMatchViewportwithBloom.thumb.jpg.7cc6fc88dd3fc3cdaf934dd0aac1d1ae.jpg

I agree, it would be nice if a future version of Camera Match had it automatically create a RW Camera for the viewport and keep it in sync with the Camera Match view. 👍

Again, a great and under utilized tool in my opinion. Vectorworks is lucky to have it. Thank you again!

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@James H.,

You're welcome for the help!

I was thinking your original image looked pretty nice, but you nailed it by using the blooming effect! 🙂

I entered an enhancement request for having Camera Match auto-create and sync a RW Camera with the viewport.

Thanks again for the nice words about Camera Match! I'm always happy to see what users are doing with it.

• Like 4
  • 4 years later...