Laser Measuring As-built (auto import to .vwx)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello DesireeRos:

If you have a VSS account, Nomad has a new Augmented Reality Measure feature that lets you tap to define points on the floor or walls, and in room mode will create a VWX file using Vectorworks Cloud.

Try it out if you haven't yet and let us know if that helps.

https://cloud.vectorworks.net/portal/help/pages/measure-in-ar/?app=IOS_NOMAD

• Like 1

I have a Structure sensor iPad from Canvas.IO.  I cannot as yet recommend it.  I don't care for their drawing price structure.  Not terribly precise in my experience. <$1k

Matterport Camera <$4k 

Leica BLK360 $18k !  

Hover App - remarkable for remodeling takeoff.  Will make exterior shell with BIM from photos. - Have not tried to import 3D model yet.  

• Like 1
On 8/17/2019 at 1:41 AM, Inspectorjack said:

Hover App - remarkable for remodeling takeoff.  Will make exterior shell with BIM from photos. - Have not tried to import 3D model yet.  

Does that really work? As in, will it make something detailed/accurate enough that it can eventually be used as the source for construction information?

7 hours ago, line-weight said:

Does that really work? As in, will it make something detailed/accurate enough that it can eventually be used as the source for construction information?

Well yeah for what its meant to do. You scan a house in 8 photos and get a remarkable model with which you can apply different textures.  Its a fantastic tool for Tin Men (remodeling sales). I tried to mimic this function using my drone and the VSS photogrammetry with more photos and it failed. 

4 hours ago, Inspectorjack said:

Well yeah for what its meant to do. You scan a house in 8 photos and get a remarkable model with which you can apply different textures.  Its a fantastic tool for Tin Men (remodeling sales). I tried to mimic this function using my drone and the VSS photogrammetry with more photos and it failed. 

But what kind of accuracy are we talking about -   +/-10mm or +/-100mm or worse?

And does it give you proper solids or do you import into VW and it's a horrible mesh that doesn't section properly?

3 hours ago, line-weight said:

But what kind of accuracy are we talking about -   +/-10mm or +/-100mm or worse?

And does it give you proper solids or do you import into VW and it's a horrible mesh that doesn't section properly?

I have not worked with the mesh at all yet.  At this time I dont think Hover is intended to make a 3D model to that accuracy. It does a greet job of trying on different textures tho. And makes a strong takeoff for estimating exterior finish materials. 

• 2 months later...

I've talked to these guys https://paperless.bheeb.ch/ who have worked out of a modification pathway for A Leica Disto. Sends 3D cloud to a notebook etc and you have a nice 3D model. They use it to get 3D forms of cave systems.

I'm thinking of getting someone to mo my Disto and use it for tree surveys as GPS\GNSS still sounds very poor under tree canopies. I imagine the mod would be ~NZ$1000