dwg layers to VWX

Bunbun

Does anyone know why a CAD drawing with multiple layers imports into VWX on one layer? Is this something to do with the way the dwg has been exported or the way the dwg has been imported? It means that I cannot separate layers so the drawing is almost impossible to work with.

In addition to the above... if you want to import multiple DWG files and you would like to keep them identifiable/separate from each other you can use the "Add prefix to imported DXF/DWG layers" option. Do make sure you update the prefix for each imported DWG file.

Generally I prefer to import DWG layers as VWX classes as that will make exporting back to DWG a lot easier in general if you are also taking advantage of the layers functionality as VWX classes work across VWX layers. (e.g. if you are using layers for levels with an elevation in 3D, you could still use the classes).

In general VWX classes are used for what things are and layers for where things are. This "dual layer"' (compared to DWG files) thing can be extremely useful and it is something I really miss quite often when working in DWG, though it may depend on what you do.

• Like 3

Thanks very much both.

I work freelance for a practice where everyone except me works on ACAD. It's quite a challenge to coordinate things so it sounds as if importing and exporting as classes is the best idea. I can then presumably coordinate their layer protocols with my classes ( line weights, titles and colours). I used to work in ACAD so have found this quite frustrating and have nearly given in and got a copy of CAD but can't really afford it, so if I can make this work, all the better for everyone!