Bringing in a new base plan ?

If you're not going to be modifying it in your drawing then bringing it in as a workgroup reference works great. Then if that base plan is again adjusted by someone else you just replace the file you're referencing with the new one and you're good to go.

I have been importing on a new design layer and then using saved sheets to adjust which classes to turn off and on. This is a bit time consumong, but works oif there are a lot of classes you want to adjust (visibility, colour, line weight, etc.). Delmer, the work group referencing sounds good. How is this done? can you also save class assignments with this?

quote:

Originally posted by Delmer:

If you're not going to be modifying it in your drawing then bringing it in as a workgroup reference works great. ...

I have a similar, but different, question. I keep two or three separate files for one project. Main drawings, details, and perhaps a survey.

I do this because the detail sheets have completely different classes than what I use for general drawings. The survey is usually a DWG import and has all kinds of classes that I don't use.

Would workgroup referencing allow me to have all drawings in one file for viewing and printing without having my class menu muddied up with too many items?

The classes from the referenced file have to be brought in so that you can control their visibility. If they come from, say a structural engineer, and you can get them to prefix their classes with a "s-" it makes your life easier.

A-

C-

S-

are fairly common nomenclature.

But you could Select All in the survey file and use the Object Properties palette to change the class of all to None, and then purge the other 149 classes. Or if you just copy and paste the all-None-class survey into the main file those classes will stay behind.

Thanks Jan. I have done that before, but of course I then loose that ability to identify or modify items by class.

If there is an easy way to add a prefix, that would be the way to go. Then my class menu would only show a single entry until I select it to see the sub-classes under it.

quote:

Originally posted by Marietta:

I have been importing on a new design layer and then using saved sheets to adjust which classes to turn off and on. This is a bit time consumong, but works oif there are a lot of classes you want to adjust (visibility, colour, line weight, etc.). Delmer, the work group referencing sounds good. How is this done? can you also save class assignments with this?

Two questions :

1. I too copy the file into a new layer and then change that file quite a lot by stripping it down by turning classes off, why do you take the next step and adjust your new base in saved sheets rather than in the new design layer ?

2. I have just copied a new base into a drawing which has existing multiple layer and it seems the new base has copied into each of the existing layers, what have I done wrong ?

VIPER

I started using the saved sheets before the viewports came along. I don't know if this is the way to go, or if I'm behind here. The way the saved sheets works for me, is that I have one with all the classes turned on so that if the new file has items on another class that I previoulsy turned off, I can find it. It seems that no matter how hard one tries, it is easy to put items on the wrong layer or class. So I use it mainly for verifying the new file against the old. It seems that with work grouop referncing, I can maybe do this this prior to referencing to my drawing and then update the referencing.

Delmer, is this how you would use the work group referencing? if the classes are adjusted in the referenced file, then I don't have to worry about them in my main file? Does the invisible classes in the referenced file show up in my main file?

Viper

For number 2, I don't know how that would happen. Even if you have 'show, snap, modify layers' on, it still should only copy to one layer.

Marietta, from my experience the WGR comes in with all classes turned on regardless of last saved view in the referenced file. The saved Views in the referencING file are therefor still indispensable. I think this is appropriate because you wouldn't want your class visibility being altered when you update the referenced file just because someone was in there and turned all the dims or whatever off.

Kevin, I don't know a way to add prefixes to a number of classes simultaneously, though I thought there was a discussion on here about that a while back, I could be wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by Kevin:

If there is an easy way to add a prefix, that would be the way to go. Then my class menu would only show a single entry until I select it to see the sub-classes under it.

Do a search for a couple of scripts: "RGM Class Prefix" and "RGM Class De-Prefix." They do what you're trying to do.

A few weeks ago a similar discussion was had in another thread. I tried finding the original author of the scripts, but to no avail. I'm pretty-sure they were a give-away somewhere, but I'm not sure.