Corner Door

KIT KOLLMEYER

Question

I’m finding by fussing with the door settings and searching forums that the only way to make a corner door, like the image attached, is to convert a door to group and edit, or build one from scratch. Then I need to spend time getting it to show on the door schedule. Or, if I lived in New Zealand, which I don’t, I could get a Windoor license, which I can’t. In the high end residential world these corner doors are common. I would appreciate being able to make them using standard settings. 

2989B775-E082-4A13-9E41-CABA79C93225.jpeg

18 answers to this question

I do this all the time.  1. model the opening. I do this by splitting the walls and setting the bottom of the wall over the door at the top of the door. 2. model any door header and thresholds. Usaully I just model these using the wall tool.   3. Set the doors in the opening, but don't insert them in the walls. 4. Add a square where the doors meet and extrude it to the height of the doors.  5. In the window schedule label the doors seperately something like D-03a & D-03b and note both as inside corner meet. 

image.thumb.png.2429f29c5546400b1431960b7c0cb008.png

On 8/13/2019 at 1:52 PM, KIT KOLLMEYER said:

Or, if I lived in New Zealand, which I don’t, I could get a Windoor license, which I can’t.

You don't need to live in New Zealand now of course to have access to WinDoor but I don't think you can make this kind of arrangement in WinDoor anyway unfortunately... (the two sliding doors meeting at the corner with no post)

Tom

Ok, it appears it is too complex using Windoor to do this.

I was able to do a bit of a workaround by creating two 'openings' to get the basic mitered corners happening,  then just created two Windoor Sliding Doors but NOT placing them in the walls.  They just float within the openings that ARE in the. walls.  The only caveat is whether one door will 'overlap' the other??

I just showed them touching at the interior of each door. I also didn't put a Threshold for the doors because I wasn't sure about what was happening with that.

There ya go...there are other methods to procure this, as you can imagine, but it will involve a lot of extra moves to do so.

This workaround just involved creating the two uncased openings in the. walls.

I attached a file...there are several settings you need to be aware of, relating to how the corners are mitered, etc. You wiil note all that in the OIP

Sorry , that's all I got 😞

Screenshot2024-02-13at5_09_52PM.thumb.png.0f3f1a5b68574684622d8db31ab5fb85.png

Tom.vwx

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Kevin K said:

Tom

Ok, it appears it is too complex using Windoor to do this.

I was able to do a bit of a workaround by creating two 'openings' to get the basic mitered corners happening,  then just created two Windoor Sliding Doors but NOT placing them in the walls.  They just float within the openings that ARE in the. walls.  The only caveat is whether one door will 'overlap' the other??

I just showed them touching at the interior of each door. I also didn't put a Threshold for the doors because I wasn't sure about what was happening with that.

There ya go...there are other methods to procure this, as you can imagine, but it will involve a lot of extra moves to do so.

This workaround just involved creating the two uncased openings in the. walls.

I attached a file...there are several settings you need to be aware of, relating to how the corners are mitered, etc. You wiil note all that in the OIP

Sorry , that's all I got 😞

Screenshot2024-02-13at5_09_52PM.thumb.png.0f3f1a5b68574684622d8db31ab5fb85.png

Tom.vwx

This looks much like what I do except, I add a rectangle to at the base of the door and extrude it to the top of the door to fill in the gap.  I end up with a few unwanted lines.  In plan view I could trace over one of the adjacent door panels and the extruded rectangle with a filled rectangle to hide the lines, but for my purposes I don't need to get that detailed.   It would be best through if the door tool covered corner doors.

There's quite a variety in how real-world sliding door systems deal with that corner junction. Some have a rather chunky frame member on one or both of the parts that meet; others are more focused on ending up with as slim a frame as possible. And there are bifold options too.

If there were a dedicated door type with VW for this, for it to be useful it would be important that whoever designed it take a close look at how the various systems actually look.

Several times I've ended up modelling these doors and their corner connections from scratch, in order to visualise what it will actually look like, for the benefit both of me and of clients. Sometimes I've modelled two systems so that they can be compared ... and a decision can be made about whether it's worth spending the extra money for the less clunky option.

A decent parametric tool would save hours of work in those situations - but only if it was flexible enough to reasonably accurately approximate real-world door systems.

• Like 1