VectorWorks on G5 imac

We are upgrading our Macs soon from G4 400s with 21" CRTs. Currently we run VW mainly on Windows machines but I do have needs to run VW on Mac (we do run it on the G4s but its slow).

I'm baulking at the costs of a new G5 Powermac as I do like the value the 20" G5 iMac offers - for example - I can get a 2GB RAM iMac for about the same price as a base model G5 with the same RAM and hard drive.

Anyone using the G5 iMac with VW? If so how does it perform. Any problems with overheating (this seems to have been raised in many Mac forums)?

I'm using a G5 imac at work and its ok. Until recently it only had 256mb of ram which made it a bit slow, but works pretty well now with 768mb so your 2gb should be fine.

When the processor is working harder the fan winds up to an annoying whine which can be disconcerting, although its never overheated.

I haven't done any modelling or rendering on it so can't comment on performance when its really being pushed by Vectorworks.

I find using idvd and classic applications stress it more than VW.

Go for Power Mac. 2GB ram won't give you much advantage. You won't use it anyway. Imac frontside bus only 600mhz. it is slow. Powermac can reach up to 1.35 Ghz.

We got 3 abandon 20" iMac with 2 GB ram here. No one to use it because it is too slow. it is not responsive as powermac. At the end give up to secretary to use it.

If U want a responsive computer. simply looks for higher FSB.

1GB ram more than OK for VW.

G-Pang

G-Pang,

Stop joking. I can believe you spent money in three iMac G5s with a 20" screen and 2Gb of Ram, to leave them for the secretary... I have no iMac G5, "just" a 933 Mhz iBook G4, but I'm sure a G5 iMac is a great machine for VW. My iBook is fast enough for VW, it has only 933 Mhz. A 1,8 Ghz G5 iMac is more than twice faster!

Not everybody here has money to throw away as you, and people asks for real advice, not simple comments thrown away.

Of course a G5 iMac will not be as fast as the latest Powermac, but it is still a very fast machine.

but does Renderworks know how to use it? it may be multi-processor aware, but I think only if they are in the same box.

I have a iBook and 1.6ghz powermac with a 800mhz fsb. I am quite happy with the iBook, especially being able to take it home etc and not leave it in an potentialy unsecure place. etc. the powermac is a little bulky to haul around.

Yes its a new machine. Macwarehouse UK. Offer ends 3rd June. You need to add the RAM yourself. It comes with a free iPod shuffle but you can talk them into not adding that and giving you a bigger hard drive or more RAM. The G5 itself is the base single processor model (so its like the G5 iMac power wise). For the same sort of cost I felt it was a better deal for us - 4GB RAM really will come in handy for other apps!!

BTW RAM may not be critical for everyday usage in VectorWorks but as soon as you get into big 3D models and rendering it will be.....as it is if you also happen to have Entourage, Word, Excel, Acrobat and Photoshop open at the same time :-)

Hugo,

May be you won't believe me, but I can say we got nearly 200 Powermac G5s over here. We keep upgrading our system.

Our philosophy is simple, TIME is more important than equipment cost ( in some cases ). We also known as a biggest apple customer in our country.

* A tips for Apple buyer, If Apple do any offer, wait untill the offer is over and then quickly order for same model that they had offer. The price will be a lot cheaper than what they had offer.

[ 05-27-2005, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: G-Pang ]

This offer isn't an Apple one G-Pang, just that particular reseller. Best time to buy a new Mac or PC is immediately after they launch new models - especially if the VAR/manufacturer has old stock! I've picked up some real bargains over the years on "old" machines.

For 3D modelling many programs, such as Cinema 4D and I believe the new version of Artlantis are dual processor aware on the rendering side.

Not forgeting VW's own Renderworks.

My old dual processor Dell P3 would happily be rendering away in a single processor renderer such as Artlantis whilst allowing me to do other things with the other processor. My current set up although a faster model is only single processor and does not do it so easily or quickly.

If you intend to have several program open at once I'd tend to go the extra and get a dual machine. At work I've just got a new dual G5 2hz with Tiger but its too early to comment. I've also got the matching 20" monitor which gives me almost true A3 sized drawing area with all the tool palettes nicely tucked off of the drawing area. Wanted the 23" but at double the price it does not seem a good buy.

If you are looking as you say at "old" models some uk dealers such as cancomuk.com or jigsaw24.com do have clearance stock etc.

I'm torn between the new G5 imac at 2hz for home use, or a G5tower or staying Windows. I use to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure ;~)

[ 05-28-2005, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]