Displacement mapping causes corners to 'peel away'

line-weight

At the top is a render without any displacement mapping turned on.

Below, various attempts with displacement mapping on - set to different heights, positive/negative values etc.

It's as if the surface is pulled out as if a thin layer, rather than extruded outwards as a solid... is this what's supposed to happen?

The main corner, around which the pipework runs, is formed from two joined wall objects. The outermost layer is about 100mm thick. The displacement amount is set to values between about 5 and 20.

960188045_ScreenShot2019-08-12at14_29_28.thumb.jpg.ac7f47a81103ee9025f1740b99f2bd28.jpg636749429_ScreenShot2019-08-12at14_29_46.thumb.jpg.868e8310e8ba8f9ca74d46a9a81a802f.jpg

6 hours ago, line-weight said:

is this what's supposed to happen?

Unfortunately, yes - this is a common issue with using displacement maps on hard edged surfaces if the software does not have a specific workflow for resolving it. Displacement maps don’t ‘extrude’ the surface they are applied to, they displace the outer face +/- which is why you’re getting the gaps at the corners: You’re seeing inside the wall.

If you do a google search for “displacement map gaps”, you’ll see many examples & workflows for dealing with this in other software packages.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply (and I'll do the google search you suggest)

Since writing my post... via a *lot* of fiddling around with settings (scale, etc) I've managed to get rid of (or at least make non-noticeable) the gaps shown in my images above.

New problem now... I end up with lines at all the seams between wall objects where they are coplanar. Vertical and horizontal joins.

Almost like it puts a 45 deg bevel on each side of the seam.

1125541848_ScreenShot2019-08-12at18_12_17.thumb.jpg.91e77aac70f48b491208df8687155c6a.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave Donley said:

If you don't need the silhouette to change (looks like you do here though), parallax is a lot easier and doesn't have any negatives compared to displacement.

Yeah, I'd like the silhouette to change so that edges aren't dead straight.

In the end I solved the joints between wall sections by extracting the surfaces of all wall sections, extruding them by 5mm and adding them all together as a solid.

That kind of works but is not really ideal.