Hybrid Object Problem

Hi everybody, 

I am newbie Vectorworks user.

I just signed up to the community to hopefully figure out a problem I am having with the so called Hybrid Object.

Starting from the bottom, I have created a solid by subtracting a simple solid (cylinder) from a negative void of a second solid as in the image. 

This apparently resulted in what is an Hybrid Object. 

As I want to further model the 3D form Vectorworks warns me with the following message:

"Hybrid Objects can only be rotated in a plane parallel  to the active layer plane.Would  you like the working plane set to the active layer plane?"

If I say yes, the working plane is automatically set to make the object rotate on the Z axis. Instead I am looking to rotate it on the axis which will position it flat on the larger side. 

I hope I have been clear enough but If I wasn't please bear with me. 

Thanks,

Flavio

Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 14.16.13.png

Hybrid objects are Symbols/PIOs that have both a 3D representation plus a separate 2D representation. Anything that is Screen Plane is considered to be 2D. When you have both parts you will not be able to rotate them.

Select the object and right click on it. Select Edit 2D and delete whatever is there. You will be asked to confirm that you want to convert to a 3D object. Say Yes. Now you should be able to rotate your object however you need.

If you later need the hybrid back, you can use the AutoHybrid function to "automatically" generate the 2d/screen plane portion of the object.

Ask again if this is not clear.

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

Thanks for helping me out.

I tried what you said, but when I right click on the object I can only see "edit" which basically leads me to the view of the solids subtraction that have generated my hybrid object. 

I cannot see any "Edit 2D", could that depends from the version of the software? I am currently using VW 2019.

1415656022_Screenshot2019-08-12at18_49_46.thumb.png.04301e1b747a8476fdcf55274f170898.png

Edited by Flavio

Do you really need all of the history in the shape?  There are about 50 different additions and subtractions in the history if you dig deep enough. Edit the subtraction and look at an isometric view and you can see some of the extra geometry.

If you don't need the history (to be able to make future changed) you can Convert to Generic Solids and then you can rotate the object as you want. Otherwise, you will have to dig deep into the history and find the hybrid object hiding in the history.

If you keep digging into the history (about 6 or 7 level deep) you will find that there is already a generic solid that has the same profile as your subtraction, but is thinner. Easiest to keep switching to front view while you do this. You can then copy this object, exit the history, paste the object and then use the Push Pull tool to get the thickness you need.

HTH

• Like 2

No I do not need all that history and in fact converting it in a generic solid was the way to figure out my problem. 😁

Thanks. 

As I said I am still new to Vectorworks, and I am still stumbling across a lot issues like this, but since you mentioned how can you "dig" in the solid history? by accessing the solid subtraction view? 

19 minutes ago, Flavio said:

No I do not need all that history and in fact converting it in a generic solid was the way to figure out my problem. 😁

Thanks. 

As I said I am still new to Vectorworks, and I am still stumbling across a lot issues like this, but since you mentioned how can you "dig" in the solid history? by accessing the solid subtraction view? 

If you have eg. an object which is a solid subtraction (look what it's called in the Object Info Pallette) then double-clicking on it will take you to a view where you can see the objects it's built from (ie the objects that were subtracted from each other). Likewise, each of those objects might be an addition, subtraction, etc. and double-clicking on either of them will do the same .... and so on back into history.

• Like 2