Edit User Defined Field Window or Door

Hi, How do I assign a name to a user defined field in the door or window style options pallets? Currently they are User Field 1 etc....but that means that when I generate a door or window schedule report, they have incorrect headings/data - and it is hard to remember what each UF is for! Thanks...

Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 13.45.34.png

Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 13.46.49.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is a little obscure, but it can be done with ease.

Navigate to your Plug-Ins\Common\Data folder. You will find 2 files: DoorPreferences.xml and WindowPreferences.xml.

In this file you can name each of the 10 user defined fields. Fill in the Key section, for example

<Parameter>
      <Name>UserFld1</Name>
      <Key>MYFIELD1</Key>
  </Parameter>

This will rename user field 1 to show as MYFIELD1.

In the door settings dialog you will see:

image.png

In the create report dialog:

image.png

and in a worksheet:

image.png

• Like 3

@Judah WarshawThose edits to the XML file are only for one user correct? If you have multiple users they would each need to make the same edits, or would need to copy the XML files.

Can these changes be made in the Workgroup or Project folders? Or do they have to be made in the User or Application folder?

What happens when you send a drawing that was created with the edited names to a user who does not have the edits? I assume they just see the original UserFld names, but just want to make sure.

Those edits to the XML file are only for one user correct? If you have multiple users they would each need to make the same edits, or would need to copy the XML files.

Correct. Ultimately, these are a per user issue. But, as you ask, they can go in a workgroup folder. Either that or everyone needs a copy. It is only a visual change in the UI that is made. The field name in the record does not change.

Can these changes be made in the Workgroup or Project folders? Or do they have to be made in the User or Application folder?

Yes they can. The changes can be places in a Workgroup or project folder. When VW launches, the first one found is the one that will be used. The file is found through that standard hierarchy that Vectorworks uses to find files.

What happens when you send a drawing that was created with the edited names to a user who does not have the edits? I assume they just see the original UserFld names, but just want to make sure.

Again, you are correct. Since this is only a visual change in the UI and not the record itself, it is not portable.

@Judah WarshawThanks for the confirmations. Makes this solution slightly less beneficial.

Can you confirm the order of file hierarchy?  I believe it is User Folder, Workgroup/Project folders, then Application folder.

For files that are identically named, only the first found is used. If multiple resource files with different names are located at different levels of the hierarchy for default content, they are all used.

I understand that the XML files are not resources and only the first to be found will be used, but this was a good chance to get this question answered.

The has always been my understanding of the hierarchy as well.. If it has changed it would be news to me. The door and window code make use of the services in VW to find the file. In this case only the first one found is used, as opposed to resources that might aggregate together.

As a FYI: The source for this goes back many years to when the plug-in was converted from VectorScript to SDK. In the VS version, the user could edit the plug-in within the plug-in manager and change how it would appear in the UI. This is not possible with SDK plug-ins. That was always a per user only solution. There was no way to do this for a workgroup. When the change was made to SDK, a way to get user defined name was needed, and this was the best solution, at least at that time. It has the added benefit of being available for workgroup folders as well.

• 1 month later...

It seems strange that this is not possible. As if you make the changes and place it it the workgroup folder would it not change the appearance of the labels on all your door/window objects? Surely different files will require different user field entries. 

In the Australian version (oh how I miss it) each data entry simply had a "label" function as part of it, so it was still "user field 1" with a label of whatever you wanted on an individual door basis, and on top of that you could either manually enter the text or select from a drop down set of parameters linked to the door object.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...
On 8/13/2019 at 3:33 PM, Judah Warshaw said:

This is a little obscure, but it can be done with ease.

Navigate to your Plug-Ins\Common\Data folder. You will find 2 files: DoorPreferences.xml and WindowPreferences.xml.

In this file you can name each of the 10 user defined fields. Fill in the Key section, for example

<Parameter>
      <Name>UserFld1</Name>
      <Key>MYFIELD1</Key>
  </Parameter>

This will rename user field 1 to show as MYFIELD1.

In the door settings dialog you will see:

image.png

In the create report dialog:

image.png

and in a worksheet:

image.png

If I do this am I right that it will rename the user fields across the board i.e. for all my Doors + Windows in all my files? I'm not sure I want to do this. I would like to be able to rename user fields on a style by style basis. You can do this with other objects right? e.g. TBBs, Spaces, I think... So I'm with @The Anorak on this.