SP4 - Unstable when exiting from a viewport back to sheet view

Aristocrates

Question

I dread updating Vectorworks, since every time there seems to be some new bug introduced.  This time, here's what's happening:

1. I am in a drawing in sheet view, and edit annotations to edit some of the annotations.
  2. From here, I enter the viewport design layer to edit something on the design layer.  So far so good.
  3. Once I've finished editing, I press the "return to viewport" link at the top right of the page to return.
  4. Upon returning, it returns into annotations mode, as I would expect, but I can't select any existing annotation, and any new items I try to add come out at the wrong scale in odd ways.
  5. In exasperation, I press "Exit Viewport Annotation" to get back to proper sheet view.
  6. Once I've found my viewport again (since for some reason leaving viewport annotation will mean that the centre point of the view also jumps to somewhere completely different to both where I was previously viewing or where I was viewing when I pressed exit annotation, but this is a topic for a whole nother topic, and has been going on far longer than this recent update), I can then enter to edit annotations again and it operates as expected.

This is incredibly disruptive to my workflow.

What are you playing at, Vectorworks? 

Vectorworks 2019 SP4 Build 490894

on MacOS Mojave 10.14.5

Edited by Aristocrates

15 answers to this question

@Adam Robinson Yep, here you go.

The first one of these didn't work because file size too large.  The second is Low resolution for small file size but you should get the gist.

Yes I get the same behaviour in other files. I only have one computer with Vectorworks 2019.

Edited by Aristocrates
Clarifications.
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Please try resetting your user folder by doing the following:

Close Vectorworks > Finder > Go > hold Alt/Option and click Library > Application Support > Vectorworks rename 2019 to something like 2019old (just so you have backup).  You can then open up Vectorworks.

If this doesn't work, please can you send over an example file so I can try this.

48 minutes ago, Adam Robinson said:

Please try resetting your user folder...

Doing this has meant I've lost all my key mappings, and even after reversing this process and transferring back to the old settings folder, they're still not back.

You see, this is why I hate updating Vectorworks!  It's more trouble than it's worth!  I've spent what, three hours, so far, trying to sort out this problem, which is well over a hundred pounds worth of my time, and it now looks like I'm going to have to spend another hour or two reconfiguring my key mapping, or figuring out how to get my original key mapping back.

I'm so frustrated, and it's only 9:55am. 😠

1 minute ago, Aristocrates said:

...how to get my original key mapping back.

OK, it turns out I just needed to select my custom workspace from the menu.  Still, it's annoying, when none of this is due to anything that I've done. I was just trying to use the program the very same way I always have.

@Aristocrates this doesn't help you in the slightest but I never, before reading this thread, realised that it was possible to go directly from annotations edit mode to design layer mode and back. I've always exited out of annotations then gone back in again to the design layer (which is a pain). So, you have at least saved me some time in the future...

Edited by line-weight

I get similar behavior where viewports go haywire. I have to close the file restart Vectorworks to get it to stop. It ain't the graphics card (see signature). Graphics have for the most part gone haywire since 2018. Maybe it has something to do with the lack of multithreading with section viewports. Also beginning to think that Apple's declaration of stopping support for Open GL leaves NNA uncommitted to fixing what's broke, meanwhile we all get to pay the price with the lost revenue that comes from chronic instability. Its ground hog day, Bill.

• Like 1

A:

Unfortunately this time of year, it won't get addressed. Frankly I'm surprised they even issued SP5 (I've updated as well). All resources are pointed at 2020 (which trust me, will also show up broken) so unless there is some fundamental shift in offloading processing onto the GPU, this will continue to be an issue, unfortunately. Its been doing it since 2018.  My guess is it will get corrected in the process of trying to add a feature.  My issue, albeit similar, is not as severe as yours but still highly irritating and yet chalked up to unbillable time with constant restarts.