dragging and dropping in 3D

22 minutes ago, drelARCH said:

Start to drag object along desired axes and when dashed axis line occur hit T key to lock direction.

Hope this helps.

thanks - I tried this and it didn't seem very workable as several other alignments/snapping were occuring and it wasn't obvious when you are moving on the axes. I was hoping that there might be something like what Sketchup does - you select the object then hit a key (up, left or right) and it's direction of travel is locked to the corresponding axes?

Yes I am familiar with sketchup way of locking. It is much simpler. I dont know about option in vw to set it in advance like su.

Do you have smart edge under smart cursor settings enabled?

Be careful to gain axis outside of potential overlapping other geometry ... You have to first drag it out of other objects region. Hope this is clear for you...

Snímka obrazovky 2019-08-10 o 16.40.29.png

• Like 1

Move by Points (Basic tool set) can also help for 3d move.

The move action does not require the start point to be on/at the selected object.  Select the object (Cmd {or alt} click when the MBP tool is selected) then the move occurs via the next two clicks.  1st click can be on the selected object, or not, eg on a guide object/edge or in empty space.  2nd click determines distance and direction. The axis and extension line hints are acquired same as dragging with Select tool.

And don't forget the 3d Move command (Modify menu>Move>Move 3d). MacOS shortcut is Opt Cmd m.

Pick axes (often you need only one axis) and enter distance.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
schpellink