Access to finishes field from worksheet

Does anyone know how to access the Key field from the Finishes database?  For example, [CT-1] would be the key with the description Ceramic Tile, 4" x 4", etc.  In VW we enter finishes by editing a database and entering these values, but in a finish schedule report, we only have access to a concatenation of Key and Description (which would be Floor Finishes Edit, or Space.Finish Floor and read as "[CT-1]     Ceramic Tile, 4" x 4", etc." in the finish schedule), or alternatively the finish description only (which would be Static Floor Finishes, or Space.Floor Finish and read as "Ceramic Tile, 4" x 4", etc." in the finish schedule).  Ideally, we would want to use the Key field in a finish schedule, not a length description.

I'm not sure I understand exactly your question but if you are on vw2018 then you should be able to to do two way editing of room finishes with a worksheet.

We use a combination of three worksheets for our room finishes. One is the actual schedule which lists the rooms and their finishes keycodes. The second is the finishes Key which is just a static worksheet that just lists the codes and their descriptions. The third is a "Room Finishes Editor" that we use to set the finishes for each space object. Changes to the editor worksheet are pushed through to the Schedule worksheet (after recalc). 

In effect the actual schedule is only there for formatting so it looks good on the sheet. All the work is done with the editor worksheet.

Unfortunately however there is a bug in vw2019 and only ceiliing finishes are available via two way finishes worksheet. Other finishes are available however via the space object OIP.

I posted about this recently on this string on July 16.

image.thumb.png.e849e4a0ee00d3df2e1bc1b255ad1744.png

I hope that is helpful?

Edited by Boh

You are right, you don't understand my question.  This is not a question about two way editing.  But the "Finishes Schedule" above is listing data from the Finish Key field, I think, and that's what I'm after.

Look in the finishes field in your schedule - the wall finish reads "[W-1]    TBA".  You don't show the W-1 finish on your finish legend, but if you did, you would see in the key field "W-1" - no brackets.  The finishes field in your "Finishes Schedule" does not have the brackets.   The sample Finish schedule VW provides in the resource browser fakes this - if you expand their finishes column, you'll see that the data is a concatenation of data from the finishes editor - it adds the key and the description of the finish into the finish record field in the space database, and reports it in the finish schedule.  They hide the finish description by narrowing the column width, but the brackets still show up.

If you would upload the second worksheet called "Finishes Schedule", I would like to look at the header definitions.

Edited by Chad Hamilton HAarchs

Hey @Wes Gardner

are you you aware of the slight glitch with two way finishes scheduled? You can call up ceiling finishes from a worksheet but floor wall and baseboard finishes are not available from a worksheet. 

Has as a bug been filed for this and do you know if it will be fixed soon?

if not do you have a recommended best practice workaround?

It is one of the big pluses of using spaces but without the ability to use worksheets to specify finishes it has lost a lot of appeal.

thanks 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 11:07 AM, Boh said:

Hey @Wes Gardner

are you you aware of the slight glitch with two way finishes scheduled? You can call up ceiling finishes from a worksheet but floor wall and baseboard finishes are not available from a worksheet. 

Has as a bug been filed for this and do you know if it will be fixed soon?

if not do you have a recommended best practice workaround?

It is one of the big pluses of using spaces but without the ability to use worksheets to specify finishes it has lost a lot of appeal.

thanks 

Hey @Wes Gardner

just wodering if this is still an issue with be 2020?  (Not releases in New Zealand yet)

• 8 months later...

Has anyone been able auto-populate the Room Finish Legend to a Live Worksheet?

I'd prefer not to re-generate this every time we issue a drawing set.

Ideally the worksheet would identify all unique Finish in one column and their corresponding Description in the second Column (regardless of whether they are Wall or Ceiling or Base materials. For example:

FINISH    DESCRIPTION

GWB-1:     5/8" Gypsum Wallboard.   

WD-1:       Painted Poplar T&G, 3/4" x 5".

Not that I’m aware of. As you say you can regenerate a finished key from the tools reports menu which will pick up all finishes used by space objects but the worksheet comes in in a default format that can’t be predetermined to a custom default format. So it’s eithe reformat or cut and paste into the previous key legend.