Working with layers.

I am trying to draw plans of a building several storeys high. I want to overlay an upper storey on a lower one in order to accurately draw common elements. I therefor need to snap to elements on the lower floor plan. In order to be able to distinguish between what is part of the lower floor plan and what is part of the upper floor plan it makes life easier by turning the lower floor grey but then I can't snap to any of the points. I can only snap to elements on the lower floor if I have it shown in ungrey and then I can't distinguish between levels. It's driving me nuts as accuracy seems almost impossible to achieve. Can someone please advise me on how I can work round this problem.

I used to use autocad and all I would have to do is xref one floor into another, insert it at a common origin/datum and then draw. autocad would also let me snap to elements of the xref.

Another solution to your problem is to copy the elements from the lower floor and paste them in place at the level you are working on. Then group them and convert them all to any colour that suits. You can then snap to this group. When you have finished you can then delete this temporary group or else put it on a separate class.

Jonathan. My suggestion would be to delete the temporary group. The disadvantage in working in layer colour mode is that you then lose the differentiation between class colours and this in my experience makes the basis process of drawing more difficult. Unless I am missing something here and the layer colour mode can be made to be selective about which layers to show in a single colour mode.

Another suggestion to Wanderson is to use the show/snap layer option. You can then work away on the upper layer knowing that you are not changing the layer below.

the layer colour option would only be used while you were trying to line up the walls, and I would turn it off as soon as I had finished that part of the work because, I agree with you John, that the class colours are so useful. I have made a preference toggle that turns layer colours on and off with my right mouse click.

I forgot to say, don?t use the layer option show/snap/modify others, not at this stage. good call john, thanks for reminding me.