Standard Class Names ISO for Europe

SDLaw

Hello,

I am new to Vectorworks coming from AutoCad, Revit and Allplan, therefore class names are still a bit of a mystery to me. However, my firm wants me to help structure their class system. We are in Luxembourg so the UK Unicode doesn't really apply. I need a class naming template that will correspond to ISO. Any help would be appreciated. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

From a blank document (with only "None" and "Dimension" classes), do this:

1. Open the Classes dialog from the View bar button or the Organization dialog tab;
  2. Choose "New..."
  3. In the dialog that opens, choose the "Import Classes" radio button.
  4. In the pulldown at the top of the list, choose VW Arch (Imperial).sta
  5. In the list, choose an entry and hit command-A to select all
  6. Click OK

You should now have the Vectorworks Standard Architect classes created in your file. You can save it as a template.

Thank you Christiaan and Robert. It looks like Design Express (or Vectorworks) has already put in the standard template for Belgium or France. We have the French language version of the software.

Christiaan, the Unicode seems far too complex and doesn't appear to relate to how the architectural elements are used in Vectorworks. Where are simple things like "exterior walls" (I don't mean wall systems)? 

Edited by SDLaw
4 hours ago, SDLaw said:

Christiaan, the Unicode seems far too complex and doesn't appear to relate to how the architectural elements are used in Vectorworks. Where are simple things like "exterior walls" (I don't mean wall systems)? 

Agreed. We actually use a long-word format based on Table G, H and J of Uniclass 1.4

So for instance our walls go on:

Fabric-Walls-External

Fabric-Walls-Partitions

And our wall components go on:

Fabric parts-External finishes-Brick

Fabric parts-Core-Metal framing

2 hours ago, SDLaw said:

These are the old legacy Uniclass 1.4 tables

• Like 1
  • Ok, thanks Christian. I think I'm starting to get my head around this. But what in the world is behind "fabric parts"? Are they trying to indicate that something is manufactured as in factory? The German word for factory is Fabrik, but in English fabric is cloth. That one really eludes me, but I am American so perhaps it's a British / American English issue. 

In English 'fabric' also means 'basic structure'. For example the basic structure of a building is the walls, floor and roof of building, the building fabric; the basic structure of a car or aircraft is the body, the aircraft's fabric; or the basic structure of society is multicultural, the fabric of society.

Perhaps you've heard of the "fabric first approach" to building design? This means maximising the performance of the components and materials that make up the basic building structure itself, before considering the use of mechanical or electrical building services systems to achieve energy efficient comfort.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

I was on vacation, so I am just now seeing your response Christian. I guessed that was the case, but it is a British expression. We would never use the word fabric like that in the States, and with the German and French similar words with different meanings, it was just a little confusing. Got it now though. 

Moving on however, I have run into a different but related problem. I think we are on a roll with setting up the classes as we want to have them, but our windows and door plug ins are coming in with automatic class names. I have done some searching and the videos and help from Vectorworks says we can set up the classes for a door or window plug in by clicking on the "settings" button in the Object Info palette. The problem is that in our French version that "settings" button doesn't seem to exist. Is there another way to get to the settings and change the classes of the door and window elements? I also tried the preferences after clicking on the door tool, but that also doesn't give me a way to change the classes. See screenshots.

Screenshot VW 2.jpg

Screenshot VW.jpg

Perhaps it's not in common use but fabric has the same definition in American and British English.

I have no idea what's going on with your interface. Doesn't help that I don't know French very well, I'm not familiar with the Windows version and I don't know what Vectorworks Studio is. You certainly seem to be missing the key bits.

1304238367_Screenshot2019-08-21at16_20_47.thumb.png.a4c79e0963ccde8782d6a477df94a8ee.png

Edited by Christiaan

Hi Christian,

Ok, thanks. I'll call our support here this morning and try to figure it out from here. I am American by the way. I studied and practiced architecture there for years before coming here to Europe and I promise you, no one I know ever referred to the building structure or elements as its fabric. But language changes all the time. Perhaps it is a new trend.

Edited by SDLaw

Ok, I called support. They have developed a new system in the latest update and forgot to put the button in the preferences to be able to change the class ahead of insertion. The man I spoke with has reported it. They have purposely removed the settings button under the Object Info palette and will not put it back. 

So the only option we have is to use the openings tool and in the preferences under general, we can change the main class and under graphic attributes we could change the classes of each element. We can then save it as a set (style?). 

I don't know if these updates will come in the English version or not, but you may run into this soon as well.

Edited by SDLaw
1 hour ago, SDLaw said:

They have purposely removed the settings button under the Object Info palette and will not put it back. ... I don't know if these updates will come in the English version or not, but you may run into this soon as well.

That's a very strange decision. We won't be getting that, that's something peculiar to your local distribution.

Edited by Christiaan