Class Naming and Organization/Character Limits, Why?

I have been curious for a while now, as to why there is a limit to the total number of characters we can use to name classes and Layers, as well as the total number of sub classes we can create?

I am assuming this is perhaps a programing, file size reason maybe, but I do not see going forward why we need this limitation in the program?

Good point. Def. could be that as well.

But it would sure be nice to have more spaces, literally, available for naming and unlimited sub classing, not that we need a crazy amount... but leave it up to the user not the program.

VW leaves it on the user to make sure their files are compatible and play well with other programs.

Or perhaps even an option that we can turn on and off per file, for unlimited character lengths etc, and the user would take responsibility for it. Idk but I wouldn't mind seeing that.

As you said, there likely are multiple reasons. But I always feel cramped with the amount of characters allowed right now, and to me it seems something left over from old school windows and or mac coding, but I am no an expert in those matters.